server problem

charlie321

Hi...  I have a little form and php script where I am trying to pass date() and get the seconds it takes to fill out the form.

This works fine on localhost which is window based, but does not work on my server which is linux. 

On my linux server a 0 or blank is showing in the passed field.

Any ideas on what might be wrong?  I believe tjis is some sort of a minor coding error but my server shows no errors.

Here is the script:

<html>

<form method="POST" action="test_time.php">
<input type="hidden" name="tm" value="<?php echo time() ?>" />
<input type="text" name="Name" size="15" placeholder="Enter Name">&nbsp;&nbsp;
<input type="submit" value="Go" name="Submit">
</form>
</html>

<?php
date_default_timezone_set("America/New_York");
$name = ucwords(strtolower($_POST['Name']));
$st = $_POST['tm'];
$formFilledInSeconds = time() - $st;
echo $name."<br>";
echo "start time: ".$st."<br>";
echo "time: ".time()."<br>";
echo "seconds: " .$formFilledInSeconds."<br>";
?>

you forgot the colon after echo time()

While coding in PHP, having the following lines on top of all your PHP pages will save a ton of time. (Be sure to remove them before making your pages live to the public.):
<?php
ini_set('display_errors', 1);
ini_set('display_startup_errors', 1);
error_reporting(E_ALL);
?>

Edited by StevenOliver

17 hours ago, StevenOliver said:

you forgot the colon after echo time()

While coding in PHP, having the following lines on top of all your PHP pages will save a ton of time. (Be sure to remove them before making your pages live to the public.):
<?php
ini_set('display_errors', 1);
ini_set('display_startup_errors', 1);
error_reporting(E_ALL);
?>

Could you please explain further?  I think you were mistaken.  But if you are certain you are correct about the colon please explain in detail.

I don't know what code is in test_time.php so I get an error that that page is not found. When I remove the form action page and leave it blank it seems to work for me and it seems to be starting the time when page loads. This was tested on my linux server.

Edited by dodgeitorelse3

OK I have no idea why but I changed the html file to a php file and echoed the form.  It actually works now on both the localhost and server.  time() just would not pass from my html localhost script.  I would love to know why.  It might have something to do with the fact that my localhost is workbench and the server is mariadb.  Or the server could be a newer version of php.  Really appreciate the help and suggestions.

On 6/20/2020 at 5:53 PM, Barand said:

Are you now telling us that the php code that wasn't working was in a .html file and not in a .php file?

No..  Actually I have been saying that from the beginning of this thread.  If I tried to pass this from the html file to the php file it passed nothing or 0.  That was on my mariadb server.  If I passed it on my localhost workbench server it worked.  When I changed the html file to a php file ie test.php  it worked on both servers.  Like I said I'd love to know why even though I did find a work around.  The original html and php scripts for this is in the original thread above.

Okay, I meant semicolon....

@charlie321, no, it was not mentioned that your file was an actual ".html" file (file with suffix .html). A server's PHP interpreter will only parse PHP if it is ".php" file (file ending with .php suffix).

In the olden days, I stupidly had a server directive whereby php would parse both .php files AND .html files. Stupid stupid stupid. Never never never do this.

Anyway, your code shows the input was hidden, so you probably wouldn't have seen it just casually looking at your web browser, but if you would have looked in the source code, you would probably have seen the words "<?php echo....." all spelled out :-)

Barand, thank you -- I didn't know you could leave the semicolon off the last line. I don't think I would make a habit of it, though.... I'm so used to semicolons.

On 6/22/2020 at 11:21 PM, StevenOliver said:

Okay, I meant semicolon....

@charlie321, no, it was not mentioned that your file was an actual ".html" file (file with suffix .html). A server's PHP interpreter will only parse PHP if it is ".php" file (file ending with .php suffix).

In the olden days, I stupidly had a server directive whereby php would parse both .php files AND .html files. Stupid stupid stupid. Never never never do this.

Anyway, your code shows the input was hidden, so you probably wouldn't have seen it just casually looking at your web browser, but if you would have looked in the source code, you would probably have seen the words "<?php echo....." all spelled out :-)

Barand, thank you -- I didn't know you could leave the semicolon off the last line. I don't think I would make a habit of it, though.... I'm so used to semicolons.

OK  It does parse an html file on my localhost server.  So what changed the ability to parse an html file?  Linux, php, windows?  Just curious to find out why I can do it on localhost (workbench-windows) and not on linux-mariadb.  Thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.