php case insensitive?

jodunno

Dear members,

I have recently noticed something about php and my regex filter: a-z still allows A-Z. The same is true of a filename in php. I name a file hello.php and it is included if i call it as  Hello.php.

if (preg_match("/^[a-z\/\s_-]{3,116}$/i", $variable) === 0) { break(2); }

is my regex incorrect? i am trying to check an entire string for matching characters. I usually create an array as a key and say if not in array. However, i cannot create an array for this particular string which could contain over 100,000 possibilities. Thus the use of regex. Perhaps my regex is incorrect or php is case insensitive.

summary: the string Abc/Xyz gets through despite only regex of a-z. I would think that it should be A-Za-z. No?

Best wishes.

9 minutes ago, jodunno said:

The same is true of a filename in php

for this part of your question, it depends on the operating system. for a case-insensitive operating system, such as Windows, Hello.php and hello.php are the same. for a case-sensitive operating system, such as lunix, those are two different file names.

3 hours ago, mac_gyver said:

for this part of your question, it depends on the operating system. for a case-insensitive operating system, such as Windows, Hello.php and hello.php are the same. for a case-sensitive operating system, such as lunix, those are two different file names.

wow! Thank you for this info! I really did not know that this is a Windows-specific situation. Your post has saved me a huge headache because my host will be a linux machine. Thus my website would not work correctly at launch because of this case mismatch in my code. Thank You, mac_gyver!

meantime, i am too tired to code today. I cannot believe that i missed the i modifier when i posted. alot like locking a door then asking why the door doesn't open. LOL!

Best wishes to all.

• 1 month later...

Actually, Unix-like operating systems treat file names case-sensitively whereas Microsoft Windows is case-insensitive but, for most file systems, case-preserving. So for this reason you must not be getting desired output.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.