Switch Boolean Value with Timer

MysticKnight

I have an online store that was created with PHP and it uses MySQL on the backend.

There’s a boolean field in the database that either turns the store on (enabled) or it turns the store off (disabled) when it’s toggled.

My question is can I write code that would automatically toggle that boolean value at specific times of the day?

Can you tell me more about how to do it or is there a place where I can detailed information?

I’ll be using a standard Linux OS at a web hosting company.

I familiar enough to modify PHP or MySQL or follow instructions, but I’m still relatively new to both.

Edited by MysticKnight

21 minutes ago, MysticKnight said:

They only sell products that have to be picked up in person

So someone can't order something to be picked up tomorrow?   I do that somewhat frequently with lowes/home depot.

In any case, you'd essentially just create a script to change that field.

<?php

$online = intval($argv[1]);
$db = new PDO('mysql:host=localhost;dbname=store', 'username', 'password');
$statement = $db->prepare('UPDATE table SET online=? WHERE whatever');
$statement->execute([$online]);

Then setup two cron jobs to run that script at whatever time you want to toggle the field and it's desired value

# Set online=1 at 9am
0 9 * * * /usr/bin/php /home/you/toggleOnline.php 1
# Set online=0 at 5pm
0 17 * * * /usr/bin/php /home/you/toggleOnline.php 0

You'll have to get more sophisticated if you want to handle things like weekends, holidays, etc.

Edited by kicken

I can’t thank you enough for your help. I’m going to use your suggestion and see if I can get it working tomorrow.

I know it sounds weird, but in this case they want the shopping cart to turn off when someone isn’t available to immediately follow up on the order by phone.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.