Creating onclick JS Func from PHP

Adamhumbug

I have a function in JS that i would like to pass 2 variables to.  One is an int and one is a string.

I am struggling to get the string part right as it needs to be wrapped in quotes.

My code is :

$out.="<div onclick='newTransactionLine(".$r['id'].",".$r['direction'].")' class='transactionItem btn $class d-block mb-2' data-id='".$r['id']."' >".$r['item']."<br/>£".$r['price']."</div>";

which outputs:

<div onclick="newTransactionLine(1,OUT)" class="transactionItem btn btn-primary d-block mb-2" data-id="1">Adult Membership (£85)<br>£85.00</div>

When i click the button that gets made, i get a reference error on the word out.

I have no doubt it is very simple but i just cannot get this to work for me.

See how you have data-id='".$r['id']."' for your $r['id'] variable?   Do the same thing with your direction variable.  data-direction='".$r['direction']."'

Then in your javascript code you can access these values via the dataset property on the element.

onclick="newTransactionLine(this.dataset.id, this.dataset.direction)"

18 hours ago, kicken said:

See how you have data-id='".$r['id']."' for your $r['id'] variable?   Do the same thing with your direction variable.  data-direction='".$r['direction']."'

Then in your javascript code you can access these values via the dataset property on the element.

onclick="newTransactionLine(this.dataset.id, this.dataset.direction)"

Bingo - thanks very much!!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.