need help with a query with multiple SELECT

tjhilder

Hi,

whats wrong with the way I have this written? I need some help with it.

$get_member = "SELECT (SELECT COUNT(comment_id) FROM comments WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}') AS comment_count, (SELECT COUNT(member_id) FROM messages WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}') AS message_count, SELECT * FROM members WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}'";

I get this error.

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'SELECT * FROM members WHERE member_id='2'' at line 1

any help would be great :)

Wow, your query is really messed up.

SELECT (SELECT COUNT(comment_id) FROM comments WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}')

should probably be something like

SELECT COUNT(SELECT comment_id FROM comments WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}')

And the "base" query doesn't make much sense, for example, there's no FROM statement.

I tried doing it with the last one in ( ) 's but it gives me this error:

Operand should contain 1 column(s).

the query ( with ( )'s )

$get_member = "SELECT (SELECT COUNT(comment_id) FROM comments WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}') AS comment_count, (SELECT COUNT(member_id) FROM messages WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}') AS message_count, (SELECT * FROM members WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}')";

any suggestions?

[!--quoteo(post=331257:date=Dec 29 2005, 01:49 PM:name=tjhilder)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(tjhilder @ Dec 29 2005, 01:49 PM) 331257[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

I tried doing it with the last one in ( ) 's but it gives me this error:

Operand should contain 1 column(s).

the query ( with ( )'s )

$get_member = "SELECT (SELECT COUNT(comment_id) FROM comments WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}') AS comment_count, (SELECT COUNT(member_id) FROM messages WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}') AS message_count, (SELECT * FROM members WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}')";

any suggestions?

You didn't make the corrections i suggested. But I really doubt it would work anyway...

I would first get the member (with the last SELECT statement), then count the comments and messages.

That thing just looks so horrible.

[!--quoteo(post=331276:date=Dec 29 2005, 07:37 PM:name=LazyJones)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LazyJones @ Dec 29 2005, 07:37 PM) 331276[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

I would first get the member (with the last SELECT statement), then count the comments and messages.

I tried that, no difference, still get

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Operand should contain 1 column(s).

You're getting that error because you can't return "SELECT *" in a subquery, AFAIK.

But I agree with LazyJones -- the cleaner way to write your query would be the following (UNTESTED):

$get_member = "SELECT * FROM members WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}', (SELECT COUNT(comment_id) FROM comments WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}') AS comment_count, (SELECT COUNT(member_id) FROM messages WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}') AS message_count";

Hope that helps.

that query gets this error:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ' (SELECT COUNT(comment_id) FROM comments WHERE member_id='2') AS comment_count, ' at line 1

then i thought about what you said "You're getting that error because you can't return "SELECT *" in a subquery" and changed the query to:

$get_member = "SELECT (SELECT username FROM members WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}'), (SELECT COUNT(comment_id) FROM comments WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}') AS comment_count, (SELECT COUNT(member_id) FROM messages WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}') AS message_count";

which worked, but wouldn't show up the username, so I changed it:

(SELECT username FROM members WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}') AS username,

and then the username showed up and the query worked. if it hadn't I would just have used 2 queries. but with 1 theres less code.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking straight... you have to include the subqueries in the column list part of the outer query, not after it:

$get_member = "SELECT *, (SELECT COUNT(comment_id) FROM comments WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}') AS comment_count, (SELECT COUNT(member_id) FROM messages WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}') AS message_count FROM members WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}'";

Don't know what I was thinking -- sorry about that.

[!--quoteo(post=331939:date=Dec 31 2005, 04:59 PM:name=fenway)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(fenway @ Dec 31 2005, 04:59 PM) 331939[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

Sorry, I wasn't thinking straight... you have to include the subqueries in the column list part of the outer query, not after it:

$get_member = "SELECT *, (SELECT COUNT(comment_id) FROM comments WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}') AS comment_count, (SELECT COUNT(member_id) FROM messages WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}') AS message_count FROM members WHERE member_id='{$_SESSION['member_id']}'";

Don't know what I was thinking -- sorry about that.

thanks, works a treat :D

Glad you got it working. Yeah, if you put it after the FROM keyword, the parser thinks you're trying to use a subquery as one of the tables, and wants an alias for it, and so on. Useful for some things, but not in this case. Sorry for the confusion -- upon closer inspection, I even had those subqueries as part of the where clause, not in the FROM... my bad.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.