1. 1. Self Taught or Educated?

• Self Taught
    • Went to school/college
    • Online courses

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it should be mentioned that it also depends on your area of study.  i myself have learned a crapload in chemistry, but i think that's mainly because chemistry (and science in general) isn't generally something you can pick up off of tutorials.  and even if it is, it certainly doesn't have the sheer number of tutorials online that programming does.

[quote author=akitchin link=topic=119164.msg552970#msg552970 date=1173982453]
it should be mentioned that it also depends on your area of study.  i myself have learned a crapload in chemistry, but i think that's mainly because chemistry (and science in general) isn't generally something you can pick up off of tutorials.  and even if it is, it certainly doesn't have the sheer number of tutorials online that programming does.
[/quote]

Same thing goes for languages. I'd rather not attempt to learn a language from online tutorials.

when you go to uni you are self taght thats the whole point, you learn how to learn, i was introduced to PHP and ASP and C++ and ADA and C and JS and JAVA and the rest and i made of them what i could over 3 years learning more and more, at uni they teach you the basics of programming then they teach you how it works and constructs and then they release you to languages whith a 6 hour course to the language cos lets face it all languages are the same OOP and Processes and your done. To make complex programs you need to know how to design abstract and detailed, for OOD OOP and other UML based stuff and JStructP. University is good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Self taught rules.

Look at microsoft's cruddy non-compliant website that only works right in a single browser.

That's what happens when you pay to write code.

It's much better to write code for free, or even get paid to write code. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
in school.. my teacher.. introduces only what is php..... simple functionality and features....... buti felt i was great taught my self.. about this level of mine ..especially this time........... my teacher... even did not know about the work of sessions..... anyway... he teaches as the basic... that all i need in learning interesting subject like this> PHP...

• 3 weeks later...
Self taught. Going to college for it would be very silly. Get yourself a real degree like engineering and do programming on your free time. If you have to, sign up for an online course. Seriously, you don't make good money as a php programmer. 60 grand tops.

ASP.net is a different story.

• 1 month later...
[quote]I voted self taught, but to be honest, I believe their should be another field, although this field would conflict with self taught. *text books* or just *books* in general, such as "SAMS teach yourself PHP in 24 hours" and books like that.[/quote]

That's covered by self-taught.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote author=pocobueno1388 link=topic=119164.msg713284#msg713284 date=1191989021]
[quote author=TheFilmGod link=topic=119164.msg675348#msg675348 date=1187573496]
Seriously, you don't make good money as a php programmer. 60 grand tops.
[/quote]

Uhhh....I don't know about anyone else, but I would consider that to be very good money, I would be happy with it :)
[/quote]

That rather depends on the currency :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.