variable as part of a command?

garyed

Is there a simple way to use a javascript variable as part of the actual command?

I have var x=3;   & I want my command to be:  document.freeone.t3_home.value="close";    

x is going to change from 1 to 100 so I want to substitute the variable instead of using the actual number 3 in my example. 

Any ideas? 

Javascript allows an object's properties to be accessed using array notation as well, so you can use either document.freeone.t3_home or document.freeone['t3_home'] to access the t3_home property.

Array notation allows the use of variables as the index value, so you can do something like this:

var key = 't3_home';
document.freeone[key].value = 'close';

Now all you have to do is construct the appropriate value for the key variable, which can be done  using simple concatenation.

var x = 3;
var key = 't'+x+'_home';

Thanks for the help,

That would work if "home" stayed the same but it changes too.

I really didn't give a good example of  what I was trying to do because the 3  does need to change but I have a bunch of different values than .."home" also. 

I already have about 60 different fields that I've already set up in a script to get the value I want but only for "t3_home.. t3_wall.. t3_window.. etc... " .

So what I'm trying to do is just put a variable in just where the "3" is so i can run it through a for loop to get t2.. t3.. t4.. etc.       

15 minutes ago, kicken said:

So make it a variable also and concatenate it as well just like was done with the 3.

That's what I don't know how to do in javascript. I know how to add a variable to a command in php but not javascript. In other words 

var x=3;
document.house.t+x+_home.value="9";

doesn't work.

How can i fit that variable "x" into that command to get it to work the same as:  document.house.t3_home. value="9"; ?

If I can do that then I can figure out the rest of what I want to do.

5 minutes ago, garyed said:

That's what I don't know how to do in javascript

I showed you everything you need to know to figure out it out my first post.

I showed you how you can replace t3_home with a variable called key.

I showed you how you can construct a variable named key from some strings and another variable containing a number.

Put those together and you have your answer for how to add your x variable into that command.  You can then extrapolate from that and figure out how to make your home part into a variable also.

21 minutes ago, kicken said:

I showed you how you can construct a variable named key from some strings and another variable containing a number.

Put those together and you have your answer for how to add your x variable into that command.  You can then extrapolate from that and figure out how to make your home part into a variable also.

I do appreciate the help but I still don't think i'm making myself clear. I've tried using the way you showed me with the key variable but in order to make that work i would need 60 different variables. What I need to do is use just a number for the variable so i can run it through a loop without the text. I can't run the way you showed me through a loop because i have to change not just the number inside the key variable but the text inside the variable also. That is why I'm trying to find a way to just add a number variable that can fit into the command line string..   

41 minutes ago, kicken said:

I must apologize because I finally got it. I didn't realize that i could add to the variable you showed me in the brackets. 

I just used:

for (i=2;i<5;i++) {
var key='t'+i;
 document.tester[key+'_home'].value='';                 
 document.tester[key+'_wall'].value='';
 /// etc..
 }                 

& it works. 

Thanks again 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.