group by

SkyRanger

Not sure why I am thinking this is so hard but keep getting an error in my code (Visual Basic)

Situation:

database = xmas
table = songlist
column 1 = title
column 2 = artist

I have 2 dropdown boxes being populated
box 1 is the title
box 2 is the artist

When person choses song in box 1 it populates the artist name in box 2 (this part is working) . The problem I am running in to is I need to group all of the songs that are the same to be listed in box 1 but not group the names in box 2

I have(had) select * from songlist group by  title

1 hour ago, SkyRanger said:

The problem I am running in to is I need to group all of the songs that are the same to be listed in box 1 but not group the names in box 2

What do you mean by "group"?

The normal way this "I have 2 dropdown boxes being populated" problem goes is that you get a list of all titles and put that in the first one, then get a list of all artists that match the title selected in the first.
Neither have anything to do with grouping.

If I am understanding the question correctly, the query to populate Box 1 is

SELECT DISTINCT title
FROM xmas
ORDER BY title;

On your page, use an onchange handler to send an AJAX request which sends the title then receives the results of this second query to populate Box 2

SELECT artist
FROM xmas
WHERE title = ?

Thanks Barand. Yeah I don't think I explained that correctly.

table is called songlist with multiple columns but only pulling info from 2 of them .  title = song title and artist = song artist.  I have multiple song titles with the same name.  ie: Jingle Bells sung by different artist.  Right now I have it showing all the songs in the list without grouping them together. So once the person picks on a song title in the first box a list of artists shows in the second box who did that song.

This thread is more than a year old.