Data too long for column 'email' error

ajoo

Hi all !

I am using mysql version 5.7.24 and I have run into the error under heading. 

The length of the email in question is 33 as given by select  

char_length('shiningstarstruste11111@gmail.com');

Most of the suggestions are to turn the strict mode off which I don't want to do. 

What would be the best way to resolve this ?

Thanks !

hmmm, I forgot to mention that the length of the column was 60 and i increased it to like 150  and then to 255 and it did not work,

But ofcourse you are still right Requinix, on both counts. I had made changes in the wrong table. It's working now !! is 150 a good enough length for an email  or should it be all the way up to the varchar limit?

Thanks !

Pretty sure nobody has an email address 65,535 characters long. Nor 150 either, for that matter.

The technical limit is 320, but if you find someone complaining that their 151-character long email address isn't working in your system, you can deal with it then.

• Like 1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.