Are QUOTE MARKS required

phppup

While playing with some code, I wrote these few lines of script.

$_SESSION["favcolor"] = green;

echo "Session variable is ". $_SESSION["favcolor"] ;

I tested the code and everything worked fine.
But then, I noticed an error in my coding: I had accidentally forgotten the QUOTES around the word GREEN.

I corrected the code

$_SESSION["favcolor"] = "green";

But when I tested it, the page would not open/load.

Then I removed the quote marks and restored the line to it's original state

$_SESSION["favcolor"] = green;

And things worked fine.

Shouldn't the quote marks be required?
Why am I having this issue?
Is it really an issue, or should I just accept that it works WITHOUT the quotes and be satisfied with that result?

If you didn't have a constant named "green" then PHP was converting that to a string for you. But as of PHP 8, that will no longer happen and your script will die.

PHP raised a warning when it did that. If you didn't see the warning then your PHP is not set up correctly for development.

If you had error reporting tuned on, you would see a message like this

Notice: Use of undefined constant green - assumed 'green' in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\test.php on line xx

If the PHP processor comes across an unquoted string it assumes it is a defined constant. It then tries to find the value that was defined for that constant. If it cannot find one it then assumes it must be a string value 'green'. All this is a waste of time making your code less efficient, so always quote string literals.

And while we're discussing anomalies, I am trying to determine when a SUBMIT button with a value = 'submit' is clicked.

$A = $_POST['click1'];
    echo "<br>1 ".$A."<br>";echo "<br>2 ".$_POST['click1']."<br>";

if(isset($A))  { echo "YES, the value is: ". $A; } else { echo "NO the value is: " . $A; }
if(isset($A))  { echo "YES, the value is:".  $_POST['click1']; } else { echo "NO the value is: " .  $_POST['click1']; }
if(isset($_POST['click1']))  { echo "YES, the value is: ". $A; } else { echo "NO the value is: " . $A; }
if(isset($_POST['click1']))  { echo "YES, the value is:".  $_POST['click1']; } else { echo "NO the value is: " .  $_POST['click1']; }

None of my echo messages are grabbing $A, although I seem to have it declared.

What did I do wrong here?

Is there a better way to determine if a specific input='submit' is selected?

@requinix  YES, I am beginning to think that low grade server fees come with a high price.

I suppose I should be happy that I've excelled to the point of catching the errors and seeking [something closer to] perfection.

Although it may have been easier when I didn't notice these mistakes and was simply happy to have a result generated.  LOL

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.