Effect of string starting with an ampersand

NotionCommotion

Why do I get the following results (specifically the second example)?  I thought it would be documented under https://www.php.net/manual/en/language.types.string.php, however, the word "ampersand" doesn't appear.  Also, looked at logical operators, but found nothing.  Thanks

function test(string $string){
    printf('%s %s %s 0'.PHP_EOL, gettype($string), $string, $string==0?'==':'!=');
}

test('123');
test('@123');
test('1@23');
test('123@');

string 123 != 0
string @123 == 0
string 1@23 != 0
string 123@ != 0

20 hours ago, requinix said:

Thanks requinix,  Was going to comment on my reply to Barand that I felt PHP shouldn't be doing so, but didn't want to come off as whining.  Looks like I will get what I want after all :)

Comparisons between strings and numbers using == and other non-strict comparison operators currently work by casting the string to a number, and subsequently performing a comparison on integers or floats. This results in many surprising comparison results, the most notable of which is that 0 == "foobar" returns true. This RFC proposes to make non-strict comparisons more useful and less error prone, by using a number comparison only if the string is actually numeric. Otherwise the number is converted into a string, and a string comparison is performed.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.