Rewriting index.php and news-index.php

SaranacLake

In the past I had the following code to remove the "index.php" portion of a URL to transform this "www.domain.com/index.php" to this "www.domain.com/"

This is what I used...

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^.*/index\.php
	RewriteRule ^(.*)index.php$ $1 [L,R=301]

This seemed to work okay, but ow i have expanded my temporary website.

Now I have the following set up...

www.company.com/index.php
	www.company.com/news/news-index.php
	www.company.com/news/economy/economy-index.php

What I want in the address bar is this...

www.company.com/
	www.company.com/news/
	www.company.com/news/economy/

I tried modifying the above cod eliek this, but something I did - not sure what - ending up giving me very weird page loads where iw as seeing a directory listing, and I ultimately had to comment out my code and reboot?!

What do I need to do to fix things?

I have tis original code...

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^.*/index\.php
	RewriteRule ^(.*)index.php$ $1 [L,R=301]

and then I tried adding this a few lines down...

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^.*/news-index\.php
	RewriteRule ^(.*)news-index.php$ $1 [L,R=301]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^.*/economy-index\.php
	RewriteRule ^(.*)economy-index.php$ $1 [L,R=301]

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, requinix said:

Nothing was wrong with the rewriting... I think. Nothing that I remember seeing, at least.

The rewriting isn't responsible for the directory index - the fact that your files are not called "index.php" is.

A-ha...

So I think you are saying that my instance of MAMP is expecting that every directory has an "index.php" file in it?

Can I disable that feature?

I understand your suggestion to have all of my files be "index.php", but as mentioned, it makes working with them in NetBeans to be a pain.  And the last thing I need to to spend a bunch of time updating a file only to find out it is the wrong "index.php"?!

(Once I get my "real" website up and running, this is less of an issue since that one is database driven.  But for my temproary site, I am just using straight-up hard-coded php files with not databse.)

So can I turn of the requirement that every directory needs an "index.php" file?

And if I do that, are there any downsides?

1 hour ago, requinix said:

Sure, but the result is that instead of getting a directory index you're going to get a 403 Forbidden page. So that's not going to help.

If I recall correctly, you could just insert a 'dummy" index.php file in every directory, right?

Currently I have this code in my .htaccess in the public_html folder...

Options -Indexes

ErrorDocument 403 "/utilities/access-denied.php"

Shouldn't that first line of code have prevented getting a directory listing like I was seeing when i renamed "index.php" to "news-index.php"?

And wouldn't that second line handle the 403 error if I made whatever change I need to not require the "index.php" as the default file in every directory?

I honestly don't recall how I broke things this weekend - i had like 20+ tabs open and was doing a little of everything trying to get this site up.  But I know the directory listing threw me off, and now that i think about it, it seems to me that I WAS getting a 403 error because I couldn't figure out a way to test out my "access-denied.php" error-handling file, and then I accidentally caused a 403.

I do know that I had to reboot to get things to behave normally.

At any rate, with the code I listed above, what do i need to do if...

1.) I want to make "news-index.php" the default file in the "news" folder?

2.) How can I make my URL pretty and so

"http://www.domain.com/news/news-index.php"

will be rewitten as 

"http://www.domain.com/news/"

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.