Does this sound like my Apache server has been hacked?

garyed

For a couple days I experimented with hosting my own site by routing a domain name to my computer. I didn't really want any outside traffic but i found i was getting a few visitors & i didn't have confidence in my password security. So i decided to unlink the domain name so at least someone would have to use my ip address to get to my site. I found that I was still getting a few visitors each day so I decided to use a password through .htaccess which was on of the suggestions I got from another thread. Everything seemed to be working fine & as far as I could tell no more visitors were getting in to my site. Now I find that two of my directories will not work through either browser, Chrome or Firefox. When I go to localhost to work on my site & to those two directories I just get:

" This site can’t be reached
localhost refused to connect.
Try:
Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED "

I've checked permissions & can't find anything different than my other directories that do work. All my files are still there so I'm a little confused. I have plenty of other directories on my site still working.
I have messed with some configuration files to get .htaccess password to work but I can't even remember what I did. I tried removing the .htaccess file but that didn't help either.
Any ides?

I assume Apache has to be running because 90% of my server site is working & it's only two directories that I'm having the problem with. 

I created a new directory & copied the index file & the background image from one of the directories that wasn't working into it & it works OK except the background image doesn't work. 

If I type the url of the image file I get the same error but if I put another image file I don't get the error. It's like something has happened to some of the files in those two directories.

I'm at a complete loss. 

3 minutes ago, requinix said:

So are you saying that you get a ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED when you try to browse to a couple pages on your site but not for everything else? And everything in your browser's address bar looks correct, domain and path and all?

Yes,

I have quite a few different web sites & each site has its own directory. I use my Apache server to design the pages & test them before i upload them to my web host. So I can either just go to localhost from my browser or type in my ip address 

to view all my sites & pages. There's only two sites & pages on two separate directories along with their sub directories that I get the error & all the other sites & pages in about 40 other directories work fine.   

The path is fine & that's why i'm wondering if I've been attacked. I'm running Apache on Ubuntu Linux.    

I doubt very much you've been "hacked" by anything, but I just confirmed you really do have port 80 open on your internet-facing machine so who knows, maybe some bot did?
All I do know is that there is some important piece of information that you may or may not be aware of which would explain what's happening in a more technical way.

Oh, and one more thing: exposing a web server on your personal machine to the internet when you (no offense, but) don't know how to tell whether you've been hacked by something is really not a smart idea. The safest course of action would be to wipe your computer, as well as anything that could have come in contact with it.

3 hours ago, garyed said:

Did you get to the login page? 

If you did, did you get to any of the site at all? 

I didn't go any further than that. You can test it for yourself easily enough: grab a smartphone, get off your wifi, and browse to http://your-ip-address.

5 hours ago, requinix said:

I didn't go any further than that. You can test it for yourself easily enough: grab a smartphone, get off your wifi, and browse to http://your-ip-address.

I think I'm going to take your advice & close down port 80 until I can figure out what is going on. 

I wanted to be able to remotely access my work & I've also been tinkering with the idea of hosting my own website so I've been playing around with this for quite a while. My port has been open for a few years & I've never had any problem until now. It all started when I forwarded one of my domain names to my computer as an experiment about a week or two ago. I used a php password protected index page with a mysql database to see if I had any visitors. When I realized it wasn't a good idea, I got rid of the domain name thing but I was still getting visitors. Then I added the .htaccess file with a password.  I'm not sure exactly when my directories started having the problem but I'm sure it wasn't until after I forwarded my domain name. It might have started when I added the .htaccess file & changed some configuration files but I can't be sure. If my whole site was down then I would think it would have to do with something I did, but having just two directories down doesn't make sense.    

Update,

I decided to uninstall my LAMP server & reinstall it to see if that would fix anything & sure enough, it did. 

I'm not sure what happened to only effect two directories but they are working fine since I reinstalled Apache. 

Anyways, thanks for all the ideas.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.