$_SERVER['REMOTE_USER'] - Is Empty during phpinfo.php

Pandee

Hello I have the following environment:

- Apache 2

-Ubuntu 18.04

-MySQL

My problem is the $_SERVER['REMOTE_USER'] - When I check the phpinfo.php it shows up as empty or "No value". However I did set it on a page like so:

$_SERVER["REMOTE_USER"] = $_SESSION["username"];

During the login event and it is working when printing:

print "REMOTE_USER: ".$_SERVER["REMOTE_USER"]."\n";

Am I setting it incorrectly or perhaps theres a proper way to do it?

Many Thanks

Hello!

You see Im trying to link a wiki installation to use an existing database with users already populated. Ive been trying my best to research on getting it work and apparently it needs remote_user to parse a remote login into the wiki. In doing so a user wont need to login twice.

Examples of this is like: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Auth_remoteuser

Or for doku this: https://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:authremoteuser

Thanks @requinixfor the help

Edited by Pandee

The REMOTE_USER is a value that is populated for you if the user is set up to be authenticated through your web server. It is not. Nor is it likely what you should be using if you have to work with a database.

You need a custom (potentially) mechanism to authenticate users against your database. That seems to mean using AuthManager.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.