Array with Keys only

SaranacLake

Is it possible to create a PHP array that contains only keys?

array

I have a query that returns row ID's that I want to put into an array to do some work.  There is no real concept of a "value" - I just need to store a list of the database table rows that i want and that's it!

Edited by SaranacLake

Not getting anywhere today... ;-(

I have a query in my script using prepared statements.

The query returns a listing of required questions.

if (mysqli_stmt_num_rows($stmt10)>0){
    mysqli_stmt_bind_result($stmt10, $requiredItem);
    mysqli_stmt_fetch($stmt10);
    while (mysqli_stmt_fetch($stmt10)){
        $requiredItemsArray[$requiredItem] = 'xxx';
    }

When I copy and paste my query into phpMyAdmin, it gives met {1,3,5,6,7}

When I run the above PHP code, my var_dump($requiredItemsArray), then I get {3=>'xxx', 5=>'xxx', 6=>'xxx', 7=>'xxx'}

Where is 1?

1.) Ideally, I want an array that just lists {1,3,5,6,7} like my query.

2.) I would like to figure out why I am missing "1"?!

Thanks.

No, you cannot have an array of just keys, because the very nature of a key is that it provides the location to a value.
You also cannot have an array with just values, because no keys would mean you wouldn't know where a value was in the array.

53 minutes ago, SaranacLake said:

Where is 1?

It was returned by that first useless call to mysqli_stmt_fetch.

7 hours ago, requinix said:

No, you cannot have an array of just keys, because the very nature of a key is that it provides the location to a value.
You also cannot have an array with just values, because no keys would mean you wouldn't know where a value was in the array.

It was returned by that first useless call to mysqli_stmt_fetch.

Insulting me and my code does nothing to help me understand why the above code is not working.

I have used similar code all along, so I'm not sure what is wrong - although the answer is probably right in front of me.

should return all of the applicable rows from my query - which works fine in phpMyAdmin.

And

}

should populate my array with (1, 3, 5, 6, 7) as the keys and 'xxx' as junk values since all I need are the keys.

So what am I doing wrong?

6 minutes ago, SaranacLake said:

Insulting me and my code does nothing to help me understand why the above code is not working.

I was insulting you?

I have used similar code all along, so I'm not sure what is wrong - although the answer is probably right in front of me.

It is.

should return all of the applicable rows from my query - which works fine in phpMyAdmin.

No. What that does is fetch the next row in the resultset, which then updates $requiredItem.

And

}

should populate my array with (1, 3, 5, 6, 7) as the keys and 'xxx' as junk values since all I need are the keys.

It's populating the array with the remaining rows from the resultset.

Okay, let's say you don't know what mysqli_stmt_fetch does.

In your while loop, you call the function: if it returns good then you put $requiredItem into the array, and if it returns bad then you stop. Clearly mysqli_stmt_fetch does something that moves you row by row through the resultset, right?
Now look at the code before the loop. You call mysqli_stmt_fetch. We now know that moves through a single row. However, where your while loop did something with $requiredItem after every call to mysqli_stmt_fetch, before the loop you do not.

Think about that.

I just grabbed another block of code that did a similar thing, pasted it into BBEdit, stripped out all of the specifics, and looked at my working code structure.

At the very end, I see that my working code has...

while(mysqli_stmt_fetch($stmt2)){

Then I noticed that I have an EXTRA...

]code]

mysqli_stmt_fetch($stmt10)

[/code]

in my broken code.

NOW I see what Iw as doing wrong!

(I haven't been outside in like 3 1/2 days - so that is the real problem.

We had an ice storm, but I need to try and go to the store or something and clear my brain...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.