Inserting csv records into a mysql table

kenoli
Go to solution Solved by mac_gyver,

I'm sorry to be back so soon, but I'm up against another mystery.  I'm using the code below to enter a bunch of css data from a spreadsheet into a mysql table.  I think the data file is OK.  The array created by the script checks out with print_r.  (There are many more records than shown.  I truncated it to save space.)

The problem is that I get this error regarding my sql statement, not the data or anything else:

Fatal error: Uncaught PDOException: SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'check, name, phone, email, entry_fee, print_fee, image_name, description, med...' at line 1 in /Users/studio/Sites/BannerProject/b-as/_test_site/csv_to_array.php:242 Stack trace: #0 /Users/studio/Sites/BannerProject/b-as/_test_site/csv_to_array.php(242): PDO->prepare('INSERT INTO tbl...') #1 {main} thrown in /Users/studio/Sites/BannerProject/b-as/_test_site/csv_to_array.php on line 242

I've typed it in a dozen times to make sure there are no errors and keep getting the same error.

I tried running a test file and gradually increasing the number of placeholders and at some point I always end up getting the same error,  I can delete the most recent addition and it works again.  Then I can add another placeholder exactly as before and it works the second time.  It feels like a ghost in the machine.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?  An I typing something I don't see?

<?php

require '__classes/Db.php';

$csvData = '1,FALSE,Carol Lettko,,,TRUE,FALSE,Carol_Lettko-DSC_3022.jpg,Baby Herons/Brickyard,photo,,,
,,,925-285-0320,cjl164@aol.com,,,Carol_Lettko-DSC_0164.JPG,Heron/Brickyard,photo,,,
,,,,,,,Carol_Lettko-IMG_5723.jpg,Kayaker/Brickyard,photo,,,
2,FALSE,Louise Williams,,,TRUE,FALSE,Louise_Williams-BirdsOfAFeatherAOPR.jpg,Alligator with Words,Book Excerpt,,,
,,,510-232-9547,lkw@louisekwilliams.com,,,Louise_Williams-Hope-TheFairyChickenAOPR.jpg,Hope The Fairy Chicken,,,,
,,,The d exatrfrfvct/.*tygrvurr,,,,,,,,,
3,TRUE,Dorothy Leeland,,lelanddorothy@gmail.com,TRUE,FALSE,DJ_Lee-bridge at dusk 700px width.jpg,Bridge,photo,,,
,,,,,,,DJ_Lee-friends 700px width.jpg,Friends,photo,,,
,,,,,,,DJ_Lee-hybiscus 700 px wide.jpg,Hibiscus,photo,,,
4,FALSE,Rita Gardner,,,TRUE,FALSE,Rita_Gardner-Explosion - Gardner photo.JPG,Explosion,photo,,,
,,,,tropicrita@msn.com,,,Rita_Gardner-Ferry Point tables and chair - Gardner.JPG,Ferry Point Tables,photo,, ,
,,,,,,,Rita_Gardner-Forks - Gardner photo.JPG,Forks,photo,,,
';

$lines = explode(PHP_EOL, $csvData);
$array1 = array();
foreach ($lines as $line) {
    $array1[] = str_getcsv($line);
}

$stmt = $pdo->prepare("INSERT INTO tbl_person_data (number, check, name, phone, email, entry_fee, print_fee, image_name, description, medium, select, orient, site) VALUES (?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)");

foreach ($array1 as $row)
    {
        $stmt->execute('$row');
    }

echo '<pre>';
print_r($array1);
echo '</pre>';

?>

PS -- This is a sample of the execute array as print_r displays it.  It looks right to me:

Array
(

[0] => Array
        (
            [0] => 1
            [1] => FALSE
            [2] => Carol Lettko
            [3] => 
            [4] => 
            [5] => TRUE
            [6] => FALSE
            [7] => Carol_Lettko-DSC_3022.jpg
            [8] => Baby Herons/Brickyard
            [9] => photo
            [10] => 
            [11] => 
            [12] => 
        )

[1] => Array
        (
            [0] => 
            [1] => 
            [2] => 
            [3] => 925-285-0320
            [4] => cjl164@aol.com
            [5] => 
            [6] => 
            [7] => Carol_Lettko-DSC_0164.JPG
            [8] => Heron/Brickyard
            [9] => photo
            [10] => 
            [11] => 
            [12] => 
)       

1 hour ago, mac_gyver said:

check is a reserved work and should not be used as a column name. either use a different name for that column or you must enclose the column name in back-ticks to cause it to be treated as an identifier.

Thanks.  That makes sense.  I also changed "select" as I thought that might be a problem and that issue is now gone.  

I had to fix a couple of other errors that I figured out and it worked!

--Kenoli

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.