understanding terminology

ajetrumpet

can you guys help with this a little bit?  i've been in so many companies.  I get so sick of this.  people throw terms around all the time and a lot of times, at least what I've noticed, is that a lot of people don't even really know what they're talking about.  take for instance, this:

https://www.php.net/manual/en/class.iterator.php

if you consider the link, it is calling the iterator a class.  but, in the article it is described as an interface.  to me, that's just ridiculous.  you see, what's going to happen with that, is that I'm going to go into a meeting next week and some person from india is going to argue with me about ""well, no, a class is not an interface.....yada yada..."", and on and on and on.  obviously this is extremely simple, and most CEOs understand that.  I've never understood why engineers do not.  it's nothing more than a hierarchy.  everything is.  sooooo.....to start here, does anyone reading this understand what I'm trying to say?  This is nothing more than information management, as everything is anyway.  That's why it's very simple.  at this point, I would think that no one should have to write code anymore, even if the concepts of low code and no code did not exist.  code is so patternized anyway, and there are only so many objects on Earth to mimic in the electronic world, is that not why frameworks were created in the first place?  let us start there.  comments anyone?  thanks.

Adam

1 hour ago, requinix said:

If you think that "reading the documentation" means looking at the URL then you're definitely going to have problems.

I didn't say that.  so, can you offer anything else?  I always love your snide remarks.  😃  so what do you think about this URL by microsoft?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/excel.workbook

a workbook object inside of excel is an API!?   LOL.  yeah right.  (or rather, PART of an API??).  yeah, definition is correct, sure.  but when human beings in the real word say API, they would never do that if they were talking about objects inside of a program like excel.  they would say that for heavy coding initiatives like SOAP, REST, etc....

Edited by ajetrumpet

2 minutes ago, ajetrumpet said:

I didn't say that.

Your whole argument is "there's a 'class' in the URL but it isn't a class". That's stupid.

2 minutes ago, ajetrumpet said:

so what do you think about this URL by microsoft?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/excel.workbook

a workbook object inside of excel is an API!?   LOL.  yeah right.

Actually it is.

I think it's clear that you're complaining about stuff you don't understand. Let me know when you want to start climbing down off Mt. Stupid.

7 minutes ago, requinix said:

I think it's clear that you're complaining about stuff you don't understand. Let me know when you want to start climbing down off Mt. Stupid.

why don't I just say this? 

what do you guys do when working with foreign developers to help them understand that too much professionalism ends up being a nightmare for everyone?  I've already mentioned that this work is pretty darn simple.

is that better?

14 minutes ago, phppup said:

Consider wisely, and apply accordingly.

why don't you explain to me what the difference is between a class and an interface, in your own words.  that OK?  by the way, why are you interested in beautiful girls?  most of those are not really that smart.  😃 

Edited by ajetrumpet

I think you need to understand how websites are built.

But it's late and I'm tired, and I still cannot figured out why only some of my images cause an error on upload.

Nonetheless, we put files into folders. For the most part, there is a logical method so that WE can find them to edit, update, etc.

My webpage is my grocery cart. It has ice cream and meats and fruits and vegetables.

I TRY to bag my items so the stuff for the freezer, fridge, pantry, and fruit bowl are nicely organized.

Sometimes the bags get too full, often I get confused, occasionally items spill into other bags. And maybe I get candy.

As long as everything makes it home, I'm happy.

And as long as my web link gets the user to the right page, I really don't care if the can of soup is in with the frozen food.

I've got a better idea, since you've stated:

I've already mentioned that this work is pretty darn simple.

Why don't you give me a reasonable solution to my issue in the form titled "imagecreatefromjpeg failure"?

That would make you a helpful contributor.

4 hours ago, phppup said:

I've got a better idea, since you've stated:

Why don't you give me a reasonable solution to my issue in the form titled "imagecreatefromjpeg failure"?

That would make you a helpful contributor.

and you're getting that error, where?  are you the programmer or the user?  this forum?  you didn't say that, did you?  I'm guessing you're joking anyway.  however, assuming that you use github:

https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.imagecreatefromjpeg.php

https://github.com/libgd/libgd/issues/206

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21503792/imagecreatefromjpeg-http-request-failure

but on the other hand, perhaps you're getting it because software is not perfect and not all calls, regardless of kind, work all the time because there are millions of factors involved in failures of all kinds?  No human being can know it all?  hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

4 hours ago, phppup said:

And as long as my web link gets the user to the right page, I really don't care if the can of soup is in with the frozen food.

well, considering that you've said this, I'd say you've shown that you know how to work in this industry.  regarding the subject though, I'm guessing you guys have nothing for me at this point?

are you telling me that I've violated the rules by cross posting and not telling you guys?  if I remember, I've done that a few times in the years that I've been here.  but rarely.  by the way, I'm talking privately to Ernie over on PHPhelp.com

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.