post_max_size and upload_max_filesize, how to control them in a php page not a php ini file

mahenda

As we know ,

A post_max_size used to limit the size of posted data via POST method

while 

the upload_max_filesize used to limit the size of file to be uploaded

I assume.

post_max_size = 8m

upload_max_filesize = 2m

When i limit the user to only upload 100kb file, i say

<pre>

if (!empty($_FILES["myfile"]["tmp_name"]) && ($_FILES["myfile"]["size"] > 100000)) {
       echo "the file is too large";
    }

</pre>

This message occur even when the file is greater than 8 m

The problem come when the file is greater than 10m the warning message for post content is on the page is

Warning: POST Content-Length of 9767236 bytes exceeds the limit of 8388608 bytes in Unknown on line 0

What i want?

I want to create my own warning as an error

ie

<pre>

if (post_max_size > 18388608)) {
       echo "the posted content exceed our server limit ";
    }

</pre>

NB: some developers says

we have to adjust the post_max_size i.e 200M what if user upload the file with 210M, the warning message will come back again

Warning: POST Content-Length of 9767236 bytes exceeds the limit of 8388608 bytes in Unknown on line 0

In short i want to give a normal user a meaningful warning

when you exceed the post_max_size setting, both the $_POST and $_FILES arrays are empty, so, logic trying to use those values won't have anything to test.

your post method form processing code should first test if a post method form was submitted. you can then compare the content-length (see $_SERVER['CONTENT_LENGTH']) value (which is in bytes) with the post_max_size (see ini_get('post_max_size') ) setting (which used to be in whatever units the setting is in  - bytes or K, M, G short-notation, which may now be (unconfirmed) always in bytes due to the addition of the new Warning message for this condition) to produce your own error message. when on a live/public server you should set php's display_errors setting to OFF and set log_errors to ON to cause php error messages, which would include that new Warning message, to be logged instead of displayed.

• Like 1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.