Agile SCRUM - Story Point Estimation

Drongo_III

Not sure if this the place to ask or not. Hoping someone can give me a steer.

I'm implementing agile scrum for the first time at my organisation. I'm trying to understand story point estimation but it's a little confusing.

I've read many articles stating that you take a reference story (one for which project participants can easily reason about to estimate it accurately) and place points on that reference story using it as a yard stick for the estimation of further tickets. And the points are usually selected from a number in the Fibonacci sequence.

The bit I don't understand is that many guides suggest the teams all put in their estimates. Dev may say a story is 8 points, QA may say the same story is 3 points, System Architects may say it's 8 points.

What do you place on the final story? Is it 8 points because that's the highest estimate? Or do you sum all the points (in this case 19 points) so the story is representative of the collective effort?

The points is a system you have to socialize.  It's a scale not different than perhaps, a rating system for a restaurant or movie.  Some movie review sites might use a 4 star system, or a 4 star with half stars, or a 5 star system.  

The important thing in story points is that for a storypoint of 1, whatever time that might take, a storypoint of 2 is 2x the work, and thus relatively speaking, at last 2x the time.

When you have separate tasks with separate story points, those estimates are for the people involved.  So if you want an idea of the entire scope of those stories combined, then yes, that would be additive.  

• 1 month later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.