installing Miniconda on a Linux-Box: adding the vscode and Spyder to the whole system 

dil_bert

good day dear community, 

installing Miniconda on a Linux-Box: adding the vscode and Spyder to the whole system 

i have done lots of setups - for example i am running Anaconda both on Win and MX-Linux. 

well now i want to give conda a try: 

well i guess it is a bit more tricky: 

can we do it like so: 

we need a snippet that helps to  create a directory to install miniconda into it,
After we have set up this - then we can start to download the latest python 3 based install script for Linux 64 bit,

Done so we an go ahead and try to execute or run the install script which helps us :- subsequently we can at the end delete the install script, 

Then - at this point we can do the adding and intializing of Conda:

--a conda initialize to our bash or the so called zsh shell. 

That said: If we follow ths path then we at the  can do  a cool restart of the shell and conda will be ready to go.

mkdir -p ~/miniconda3
wget https://repo.anaconda.com/miniconda/Miniconda3-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh -O ~/miniconda3/miniconda.sh
bash ~/miniconda3/miniconda.sh -b -u -p ~/miniconda3
rm -rf ~/miniconda3/miniconda.sh
~/miniconda3/bin/conda init bash
~/miniconda3/bin/conda init zsh

If we are here we can go ahead: # note: we just have done one important thing. We ve fetched Anaconda via wget

that wen very nice. 
now we can do even more:  the miniconda.sh has got some cool basic options. 
Most notably we can say that we just have  used -b to be able to run the whole thing unattended, which means that all of the agreements are automatically accepted without user prompt. I like this option very very much. It is pretty cool. But there is even more. 

-u updates any existing installation in the directory of install if there is one. -p is the directory to install into.

here i have a litte - lets say - cheat sheet that helps us with the usage: 

see more /root/miniconda3/miniconda.sh [options]

Installs Miniconda - the version - see 3 4.6.14
-b           run install in batch mode (without manual intervention),
             it is expected the license terms are agreed upon
-f           no error if install prefix already exists
-h           print this help message and exit
-p PREFIX    install prefix, defaults to /root/miniconda3, must not contain spaces.
-s           skip running pre/post-link/install scripts
-u           update an existing installation
-t           run package tests after installation (may install conda-build)

at the end oft theday we have even more options

Silent/Logged
A quick and easy way to silence everything or to log it to a file during an automated install is to wrap the script into a bash function, or save it to its own file, and call the file. I like the function method since I can still copy it right into a terminal, or keep my install script as one single file.

and besides that

install_miniconda () {
mkdir -p ~/miniconda3
wget https://repo.anaconda.com/miniconda/Miniconda3-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh -O ~/miniconda3/miniconda.sh
bash ~/miniconda3/miniconda.sh -b -u -p ~/miniconda3
rm -rf ~/miniconda3/miniconda.sh
~/miniconda3/bin/conda init bash
~/miniconda3/bin/conda init zsh
}
normal

But wait: What do we do now:  note: now we need to have packages and all that things. 

how to do now more - 

a. the installation of all the packages 
b.. the installation of  VSCode and Spyder and Jupyter notebook!?

any idea or tipp!?

Edited by dil_bert

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.