How do I put a DIV in front of the top and bottom Divs via z-index?

simona6

I am creating a page with rows.  Each row is a Step in a process.

In the second, third and so on rows, above its title I have added am element with a 'down arrow'.

I want that Element to be 'in front of' both DIVs.  When I do it now, and set a minus top margin, it goes up, but behind the row above.  How do I make it go in front of it?

I've done it with SVGs so it's making it have that layered look, but doesn't seem to work on DIVs only.

I assumed z-index: 20000; would do the trick, and even if I set the row above to be a lower z-index. 

Help...

Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 09.40.24.png

Edited by simona6

Alas not, as this is purely in a preview...   
It's in WordPress using WP Bakery.  One row after the other.  Each row has three columns - tho only the center one is being used (others are to create gaps).

Above the 'element' for the Heading, is the Info box to add the icon.  All rows are relative positioned.  Even if I set the icon DIV to be absolute, and high z-index, it still goes under the previous DIV.

Also an oddity... it has a sticky menu.  If I set it just to be margin-top: -100px, it appears to crop the top as it goes behind the previous DIV.  But when you scroll the screen it goes over the sticky menu with the high z-index... still cropped...

Hi.  I think it is something in the theme doing it as I added two rows with an icon on the second one on a different WP theme, and it did exactly as expected.  Moved up with a minus top margin, no z-index needed (as I agree.. that can cause other issues).  And went over the upper Div.

So I will refer it to our theme devs.  What should work in CSS, is being ignored for some reason.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.