grepping the linux "time" command

fiddlehead_cons

Phellow Phreaks!
I'm trying to track the CPU usage of a short Linux script that I wrote called clientFeeder.do.  I want to grep out the system cpu time and log it into a file.  However, when I run the command:

time . clientFeeder.do >> grep sys 2>&1

I get all three times, real, user, and sys.

real    0m1.685s
user    0m0.033s
sys    0m0.027s

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  ???  I just want the sys time, not the other two lines.  Thanks!

Warm regards,
James

well, you're close, but not quite - the syntax would actually be:

[code]$ time foobar 2>&1 | grep sys[/code]

It's odd, though - grep still doesn't seem to catch it, when I try it. Other stderr redirection works fine for me, but not with time. I suspect it's because time is a utility within bash, and that throws things off, for whatever reason.

• 2 weeks later...
Alternatively, you could use the "time" bin and not the bash "builtin" command.  The benefit of this is that it has a  "format" flag that you can pass to _only_ return what you want.

[quote]
# /usr/bin/time -f "%S" ls >/dev/null
[/quote]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.