installing Miniconda on a MX-Linux

dil_bert

dear PHP-Freaks 

first of all i hope youre well and every thinggoes well. I hope that your hometown is doing well and is able to manage all the covid 19 things.

here i want to share some ideas on a installation of Miniconda on a MX-Linux-System.  To write down these steps help me to learn. So i want to share with you the first steps in working with Miniconda on a linux box.

My approach: i am currently installing Miniconda on a MX-Linux and i am doing this via Terminal (commandline)

the first steps are the follwing

first i am heading for the download of the latest shell script with the following line: 

wget https://repo.anaconda.com/miniconda/Miniconda3-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh

now we have the repo on the machine: Fine - but let us go ahead_ 

now we have to make the miniconda installation script executable

chmod +x Miniconda3-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh

This is a pretty important step: Next the installer will prompt us where we want to install Miniconda. We will be given exactly three different options or let us say: choices or methods. We need to decide the location where we want to install all that stuff: so here we go: 
We need to press the ENTER - button on the keyboard to accept the choosen default install location i.e. our

$HOME directory. 

on a sidenote: even more important: if we don't want to install in the default location, we are of course free to press the following buttons on the keyboard

CTRL+C

to cancel the installation or mention an alternate installation directory.

Note: if we want to  go with the default installation path, which is

/var/home/doctor_linux/miniconda3 

then we can run the miniconda installation script to go ahead:

./Miniconda3-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh

creating and activating our so called conda environment. well this is one of the last steps: We now need to create and activate an so called conda environment on our machine.
To create a conda environment, we need to run the following command - (see the conda-cheetsheet for more commands)

conda create -n newenv

we can also create the environment from a file like the so called environment.yml, and besides this we also are free to use the conda env create -f command:

conda env create -f environment.yml. The environment name will be the directory name.

if you like conda:  just see the conda-cheetsheet for more commands.

for the fully fledged installation to take effect, we have to do some additional steps
e.g. we have to do the following: close and re-open our Terminal.
Alternatively, we re able to run the following command to get the changes immediately in effect - (in other words: to  verify all that above steps):

$ source ~/.bashrc

we will now see the so called prefix (base) in front of our shell prompt of our machine. It means that the conda's base environment is activated. And as mentioned above: 

if you like conda:  just see the conda-cheetsheet for more commands.

(base) [doctor_linux@mx_linux~]$

well so far so good: if you like conda:  just see the conda-cheetsheet for more commands.

but wait: there is even more: there is another option the so called  Miniconda unattended  (or let us say silent) installation . the Miniconda installer script comes with options to perform a so called unattended installation. 'This is somewhat fantastic since it doesn't require any manual intervention from the us - the user. it is also called a still-installation that runs in the background: great. 

to go this way we need to do some steps. First, we need to create a directory for Miniconda installation:

$ mkdir ~/miniconda

Download the installer script:

$ wget https://repo.anaconda.com/miniconda/Miniconda3-py39_3.1.2-Linux-x86_64.sh

Btw: Wget is a famous way. See the beginning of the thread: we also have used this at the top  - in the first approach. 
now we have to verify the checksum as shown above. And then we follow the steps of the so called silent installation to some more  commands to install Miniconda in silent mode:

well so far so good: if you like conda:  just see the conda-cheetsheet for more commands.

I hope you find this useful - if you have any ideas or comments on this approach i love to hear from you

Edited by dil_bert

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.