PHP Help

dappercomment

Hi all,

I am stuck on an assignment for school and would really appreciate any help or suggestions.

Declare the following variables, use proper PHP syntax for declaring variables:

cash_on_hand and assign some value to it.

meal, and assign some value to it.

tip_percent, and assign some value to it.

cost, to be computed.

Calculate cost with a tip and store it in a variable named: cost. Cost formula is: meal + meal * (tip_percent / 100).

Make sure that cash is a little more than meal price. For example assign $20 for cash_on_hand and $15 for meal and 15% to tip_percent.

Create a while-loop that runs as long as cost is less than cash_on_hand and displays the following in each run :

I can afford a tip of 15% , for Total Cost: (34.5) such that 15% is coming from variable tip_percent and 34.5 from cost. When cost is greater than cash-on-hand, then loop stops. In each iteration, loop displays this message and adds 1% to tip_percent until meal cost exceeds your cash_on_hand.

This is what I have so far:

$cash_on_hand = 35;
$meal = 25;
$tip_percent = 10
$cost = $meal + $meal * ($tip_percent / 100);

$cash_on_hand = 35; while($cash_on_hand <= 35) { echo "I can afford a tip of $tip_percent%, for Total Cost: $cost <br/>"; $tip_percent++; }

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Thanks for the help!

Create a while-loop that runs as long as cost is less than cash_on_hand

while($cash_on_hand <= 35)

Well, that loop is not set up per your instructions. You declared $cash_on_hand twice then in the while condition you hard coded the value (35) instead of using the variable. That loop will run infinitely because $cash_on_hand will always equal 35. You need to calculate $cost on each iteration of the loop and compare that to $cash_on_hand. To be honest, I don't like the instructions given because they require you to define the calculation for $cost at least twice (you should never write code twice - write it once and call it many times).

$cash_on_hand = 35;
$meal = 25;
$tip_percent = 10
$cost = $meal + $meal * ($tip_percent / 100);

$cash_on_hand = 35; //Remove this
while($cash_on_hand <= 35) { //Fix this to test the condition in the instructions
    echo "I can afford a tip of $tip_percent%, for Total Cost: $cost <br/>";
    $tip_percent++;
    //Add a recalculation of $cost here
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.