PHP 7.4 alternative libcurl

I've been installing a separate libcurl module - compiled against a custom cURL installation.  This seems to have stopped working with PHP 7.4.

Prior to PHP 7.4, I could do:

wget -O %phpversion%.tar.gz https://www.php.net/distributions/%phpversion%.tar.gz
tar --no-same-owner -zxf %phpversion%.tar.gz
cd %phpversion%/ext/curl
/path/to/phpize
./configure --with-curl=/path/to/custom/curl --with-php-config=/path/to/php-config
make
ldd modules/curl.so

And the ldd command would show it being linked to the curl in /path/to/custom/curl

It seems that with PHP 7.4, the ability to specify a directory to --with-curl was removed.

If you compare a ./configure --help with PHP 7.4 and PHP 7.3

PHP 7.4

--with-curl             Include cURL support

PHP 7.3

--with-curl=DIR         Include cURL support

Is there a reason for this or is this something that was overlooked by the folks that release PHP?

Or am I missing something?

Well... I didn't have to do that with PHP 7.3.

But, that's not to say that the way I was doing it with PHP 7.3 was correct.  Perhaps it wasn't and it just so happened to work.

Ideally, I don't really want the custom cURL to be associated with anything system related.  This version of cURL is compiled specifically intended to use with PHP only.  That's what I liked about the way I could compile this with PHP 7.3 (and 7.2 and 7.1), I could "hide" the custom cURL and compile the PHP modules against it.

I can kind of get around this by manually modifying the CURL_SHARED_LIBADD and INCLUDES variables in the resulting Makefile before issuing the make command.

Just seems to me that PHP 7.4's libcurl is missing the option to specify a directory path with the --with-curl parameter.

It's been a long time since I compiled PHP, or anything really, but if it's setup to use pkg-config then I presume what you'd do is use PKG_CONFIG_PATH to point to a location for your special version of curl. Something like

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/path/to/curl ./configure --with-curl

The actual path you use may be different, it needs to point to the .pc file with the curl configuration information.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.