handling a 'non-logged-in' session

TechnoDiver

Hi Freaks, I'm looking for advice if someones willing to give it. Here's the situation ->

I've been working on a project, I started to learn PHP specifically to complete this idea I had. My code has evolved a lot over time as I've started understanding more.

Up until today I've been working on it with just the registration functionality, no login. I had my username hardcoded into the $user_obj instantiation. I decided I wanted to try to make category subscription functionality and doing that I realized I was better off finishing the login form first so as to get a users subscriptions into a session variable at login.

This has brought about the issue of getting an unassigned variable warning from the User class when not logged in. How I made all my other classes was putting a $user in the __construct parameter for each class. I now feel this may have been a rookie error since I'm having problems with error messages especially undefined array keys and variables when there isn't a session started. It's become a bit of a mess.

So the advice I'm looking for and hoping to find here is how you folks handle non $_SESSION sessions, when a user is just scrolling the site not logged in. Did I make a mistake requiring $user for each class __construct? should I move the $user parameter to only the methods that require them? Is there a simpler solution that my inexperience causes to elude me?

What would you folks do in this situation?

You may have made a mistake by requiring that $user. In fact I think you did because that's kinda weird to do. But it's quite possible you could reuse $user and just have it be null for anonymous sessions.

Also, asking questions about specific code tends to go better when you post specific code.

2 hours ago, requinix said:

Also, asking questions about specific code tends to go better when you post specific code.

yea, I understand that, but I felt it wasn't about specific code and more about general advice. If it was in the wrong forum, I apologize.I feel I should only have required $user in specific methods as well. These are growing pains

How you pass the user depends a lot on the architecture of the site code. Current user information is often a singleton/registry, which means not passing $users anywhere, but if you need to perform operations on any user (logged in or not) then yes, you'll be passing user objects around.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.