$stmt->execute([$category]);
  $row = $stmt->fetch(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC);
  $cat_id = $row['top_cat_id'];
  return $cat_id;
}

I'm calling it like this from a different class:

$cat_id = Category::getIDByCategory($category);

and I'm getting this error:

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Access to undeclared static property Category::$conn in /opt/lampp/htdocs/qcic/assets/class/Category.php:89

I feel like I've followed all the rules. Could someone breakdown the mechanics of what is happening here?

42 minutes ago, Strider64 said:

Does it work in the parent class? If it doesn't then there is something wrong with self::$conn

this static method is in a class with public methods and $this->conn is working fine. It's a quick method to take care a of quick need I don't want to have to instantiate an object just to use this quick method. Is there anything else I have to do inside the class to make it work as self::$conn? Like I said $this->conn is working fine everywhere else in the class

You can't get just decide to access an instance-level property as if it were a static property.  The whole thing with static properties and methods is that there is no instance so instance-level stuff cannot be used.

You either need to setup a static property for your connection or pass the connection into your static method as a parameter.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.