cron jobs

ginerjm
Go to solution Solved by ginerjm,

Has anyone managed to create a cron job on their hosted domain from a running script?  I have a task that I do repeatedly and I would like to run a quick script that records the happening of that task and that then posts a new cron job to execute at a certain time to remind me via an email or text message.  That latter part I have written.  It is just the creating of the cron job that I am asking about.  Setting it up via my cpanel is just a pia and not something I am going to even consider.

You would be trading a negligible amount of resources to run your script unnecessarily for a lot less complexity. What's worth more to you: having to juggle cronjobs according to when you need them and when you don't, or always running some script that has a couple lines of logic that detect whether it needs to run?

Also consider that this "always schedule and stop running if unnecessary" is extremely common. It's so much easier and there is virtually no downside at all to having it in there. Trying to manage the cronjob is a micro-optimization that comes with a lot of complexity.

How long have you already spent trying to solve this problem? How much more time would it take to implement and troubleshoot it? It's just not worth your time.

The cron job would be triggered by an app I already have.  When I run that quickie to post an activity my plan is to setup the one-time cron job to run at a specific time later on and that's it.  No juggling here and not very complex.  

I put in a little bit of time researching how to do this.  Then I decided to ask around.  

The complexity here come from trying the add/remove your one-time cron jobs.  Cron isn't really designed for this type of usage so making it work this way would take a fair bit more effort on your part than doing the traditional way.  

Have you considered using at rather than cron?  It seems to fit your scenario better.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.