Function with update result

wladoD

6 hours ago, Barand said:

@ginerjm That was my argument too, but I relented when I ran the simulation over 500 runs

If I took out the - $bet from a winning payout (so you weren't losing your stake money) but keeping the odds = 2 and the chance of win = rand(0, 1) then the accumulated bankroll would have made Elon Musk green with envy. EG

image.png.5618914d4ce535029338936f45f55c2e.png

Thinking about it, the odds of winning are even but you are being paid out at 2-1. So not surprising the gains are exponential.

To get it back on an even keel I then changed the chance of a win to $win = rand(0, $odds)==1 so the chance matched the odds.

Going back to the original method I decided was a matter of interpretation. The OP's odds of "2", I guess, is actually 1 in 2 (evens) so the OP's formaula works if the stake is lost but double is paid back.

Morning,

To get it back on an even keel I then changed the chance of a win to $win = rand(0, $odds)==1 so the chance matched the odds.

What you saying is (0,2), do i understand it correctly that now chance of 1 is only 33,3 % ?
2 odds in decimal should give you 50 % of winning  (2 decimal odds = 1/1 in fractional odds)

I was wondering how could i make a function like rand() but give conditions that number has to appear at least 60 % or any given number?

Thank you

Edited by wladoD

5 hours ago, wladoD said:

What you saying is (0,2), do i understand it correctly that now chance of 1 is only 33,3 % ?

Yes.

So in answer to your 60% question...

If you have an array of 10 elements and 6 of them are 1's, there is a 60% chance of selecting a 1.

$win = percent_win(60);     // $win will be 1 (true) approx 60% of the time

function percent_win($pc)
{
    $lose = 100 - $pc;
    $a1 = array_fill(0, $lose, 0);
    $a2 = array_fill(0, $pc, 1);
    $a1 = array_merge($a1, $a2);
    shuffle($a1);
    return $a1[array_rand($a1)];
}

To test...

$w = $l = 0;
for ($i=0; $i<1000; $i++) {
    $win = percent_win(20);
    if ($win) 
        ++$w;
    else ++$l;
}
printf ('%d - %d - %0.3f', $w, $l, $w/($w + $l) );

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.