class CustomerDTO
{
    public function __construct(
        public string $name, 
        public string $email, 
        public DateTimeImmutable $birth_date,
    ) {}
}

How should the following PHP-7 code be modified to utilize PHP-8's constructor property promotion? Specifically:

1. How should the Column and Groups attributes be applied to $createAt?
  2. How is $createAt's default value set to new DateTimeImmutable()?
<?php

namespace App\Entity;

use Doctrine\ORM\Mapping\Column;
use Symfony\Component\Serializer\Annotation\Groups;
use DateTimeImmutable;

class SomeClass
{
    /**
     * @var class-string<DateTimeImmutable>|mixed|null
     */
    #[Column(type: 'datetime_immutable')]
    #[Groups(['version:read'])]
    private $createAt;

public function __construct()
    {
        $this->createAt = new DateTimeImmutable;
    }
}

Also, creating the DateTimeImmutable object within the constructor couples the SomeClass with DateTimeImmutable. If you decide at a later date to switch from plain PHP to Carbon (for instance), you've got a ton of code to change.

That's pretty much antithetical to dependency injection which - as I understand it - is the entire point of property promotion.

13 hours ago, maxxd said:

Also, creating the DateTimeImmutable object within the constructor couples the SomeClass with DateTimeImmutable. If you decide at a later date to switch from plain PHP to Carbon (for instance), you've got a ton of code to change.

That's pretty much antithetical to dependency injection which - as I understand it - is the entire point of property promotion.

I was going to say that Symony's entity maker adds it but just realized I have been adding it since I read somewhere that I should.   That being said, I see your point and agree and will no longer do so.  Thanks!

15 hours ago, requinix said:

Promoted properties are also arguments to the constructor. Your constructor has no arguments. The rest isn't important.

Okay, what about the following:

<?php

namespace App\Entity;

use DateTimeImmutable;

class SomeClass
{
    /**
     */
    private $createAt;

public function __construct(DateTimeImmutable $createAt)
    {
        $this->createAt = $createAt;
    }
}

I don't have the issue regarding setting $createAt's default value as maxxd corrected me that I shouldn't be doing so in the first place, but still have the issue regarding needing to apply attributes and not being able to declare the property twice.

<?php

namespace App\Entity;

use DateTimeImmutable;

class SomeClass
{
    /**
     */
    private $createAt;

private DateTimeImmutable $createAt,
    ) {}
}

Actually, I just stumbled upon the solution.  I don't believe I've seen it documented but it works.

class SomeClass
{

) {}
}

3 hours ago, NotionCommotion said:

Actually, I just stumbled upon the solution.  I don't believe I've seen it documented but it works.

class SomeClass
{

) {}
}

It's in there.

Oh. Also, when it comes to new features, if you're not sure where in the manual you have to look to find more information about them, try the RFC list.

https://wiki.php.net/rfc

Constructor Property Promotion's mentions the different ways it could handle attributes, and that it opts for making attributes on arguments apply both to the arguments and the promoted properties.

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2021 at 3:54 PM, maxxd said:

Hello again maxxd,  While I agree instantiating objects in a constructor goes against the concept of dependency injection, I am now thinking it might be a necessary evil under some scenarios.  The alternative when using Symfony is to create a listener which gets triggered when the entity is persisted and have it call setCreateAt(new \DateTimeImmutable).  As for collections, Symfony/Doctrine handles them by creating a new ArrayCollection in the constructor which is basically the same thing.  Seems like more trouble than its worth.  Am I missing something?  Thanks

I'm not familiar with Symfony, but yeah - rules are made to be broken, right? There are situations where a tighter coupling is not entirely unavoidable, but honestly is just easier and in the long run is not a terrible idea. Instantiating SPL objects in a class constructor is really not that awful IMO as SPL objects are unlikely to change massively without a good amount of forewarning. It can be annoying when a library comes out that does something similar to the SPL class easier, but by then you've already got the SPL code working so ... so?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.