PHP Editor

Timlab55

I haven't seen this asked, but about 15 years ago when I did some PHP stuff, there was one editor I used all the time.  Since then, I haven't touch the stuff and lost the editor that I truly loved.  Now days, I'm sure things have changed (which I can see it has), therefore, I'm here to asked this question.  I'm looking for a cheap if not free PHP editor.  One that shows alot of mistakes in my coding at first.  One that is easy to install and once I get something down, I would like to run it to see how it looks inside my browser.  If someone has any suggestions, please leave me a reply.

Thanks

On 9/21/2021 at 3:03 AM, Barand said:

You gotta be joking. There's only one true Editor - PHPEd 😁 - and so it begins.

Is it worth the price though? What does it offer that say, Sublime Text or Visual Studio Code doesn't? Asking for a friend :D

I used Notepad++ for years and recently started to use Sublime Text.

9 hours ago, Moorcam said:

Is it worth the price though? What does it offer that say, Sublime Text or Visual Studio Code doesn't? Asking for a friend :D

I used Notepad++ for years and recently started to use Sublime Text.

While PHPStorm is subscription based, it's pretty good in my opinion and for an IDE it has helped my PHP skills a lot. It makes suggestions on how to write the code in a better way that I would never have thought of and makes syntax errors easy to resolve. I am not affiliated with JetBrains as I just like using their developer tools as it simplifies my coding a lot. 

Edited by Strider64
  • Like 1
  • Great Answer 1

PHPStorm is what I use, but the price may put it out of consideration for any non-professional.

Editplus is what I used to use before PHPStorm.  I still keep it around as it's a nice general-purpose text editor.  The price is low and it's one time payment for the most part.  Might have to pay again for a future version if you want to upgrade years down the road (minor versions and next major version upgrade are included with original purchase).

Notepad++ is what I tend to use if I just need to download an editor for a short period of time.

I have to  agree with Requinix that PHPStorm is by far the choice of professional developers.   It's an amazing editor in every way, and is the king of many other languages like Java.

With that said, for web development in general, Visual Studio Code from Microsoft has really taken the web development world by storm, and with plugins is a very competitive PHP development environment.  I do a lot of remote editting, and I still use Eclipse/PDT for many things, but I'm slowly making the transition to using VSC, and were it not that old habits and configurations die hard, I'd probably retire Eclipse and move to VSC 100% of the time.  

• Great Answer 1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.