AMPPS, is it to recomend or is it just crap.

LeonLatex

I have looked into the AMPPS, and found it interesting to install local as my testing server insted of upload my files to my web space at my data center here in Norway. If there is some one here having experience with AMPPS please tell me about + and - with this virtual server. I have downloaded the latest version that includes Apache v 2.4.41, PHP 7.3 and MySQL 8.0.18. For example, is it recommended to use another root directory than default (known issues?).

For those not familiar with AMPPS can read about it here: www.ampps.com

AMPPS or WAMP or XAMPP or whatever, they're all basically the same thing. They're convenient for primarily Windows and Mac people who don't want to have to set up a local environment manually the "normal" way.

Go ahead and use it if you like it. Just make sure you have a similar web server (eg, Apache or nginx) and about the same versions of PHP and MySQL as your live site. Would suck to find out your code you wrote for PHP 8 locally doesn't work as well on a PHP 7 server, right?

13 hours ago, requinix said:

Go ahead and use it if you like it. Just make sure you have a similar web server (eg, Apache or nginx) and about the same versions of PHP and MySQL as your live site. Would suck to find out your code you wrote for PHP 8 locally doesn't work as well on a PHP 7 server, right?

Yes, that is the plan. And of course i have that in mind and in the back of my head, same versions etc... I can still remember those days 10 - 15 years ago.... some times so much trouble 🥺😤

Any way, thanks for telling me requinix. All suggestions and tips are helping. I still have manny questions, but i cant find the right time for asking them 🙆‍♂️ 

• 2 months later...

I am running Win11 Home on my local laptop with i7 processor 16 GB RAM.

Possibly I have been on it or asked about it further up. But right now it's hard to read through all the posts to see. Therefore, I rather ask again and possibly once too much, but .....

So I will set up a testing server. I started with this, but then it never happened. Got lots of work and do, and in the end it was forgotten. So thus I did as before and tested directly on www-server where my domain is hosted.

I am running WIN11 on my local laptop with an i7 processor with 16 GB RAM.

Is it to recommend running it in the default directory or is it the same shit which directory I use.
I would still like to download AMPPS or WAMP or XAMPP, but (maybe I remember wrong) something tells me that AMPPS and WAMP or XAMPP do not like other directories other than the default one suggested by the developer / web server itself. 

The reason I want to install it like a all in all package is to save time, I am not so good to do it manually anymore and it is complete with PHP and MySQL.

I can do that, but I need some sharp heads used to do this manually. And from where to download the versions I want:
Apache 2.4.6
PHP 7.4
MySQL 5.7.23
These are the same versions my web hotel is running. So I need some tips, tricks, and suggestions all from where I can download what I need and how to implement it manually. Is it understood what my need is, do you want to help me send me some tips, tricks, and suggestions? Please 😄

If you're looking for "tips" and "tricks" then what you mean is you want shortcuts so that you don't have to understand how stuff works.

If you don't like thinking about it then don't think about it: do exactly what guides and blogs and documentation say to do and don't stray from their advice.

I am not a fan of these setups, as they install a bunch of software and server processes on your workstation.  They were a nice solution back in the day, but now you can use virtualization with virtualbox/vagrant or use docker.  With a machine with the resources you listed, that is plenty of horsepower to run lamp in containers.  Some advantages to doing this:

• You don't have installations of the AMP stack running under windows
    • You don't have to deal with upgrades/maintenance of them
  • Nobody runs the AMP stack in production on anything other than Linux these days, so you are developing closer to/or exactly on the target OS you will deploy to
  • You can easily run containers that let you simulate more complicated environments (for example, multiple PHP servers behind a load balancer) that would be very difficult to set up under AMP without hacking the hell out of the setup, which defeats the purpose.
  • You can easily run different versions of the stack under vagrant/PHP.  If I want to test the lastest version of PHP against some code, that is trivial with Docker.  

There is a learning curve to everything, but I would advise anyone to invest in learning how to use Docker, as it's the tool that most teams are using to develop and often to deploy.  

2 hours ago, gizmola said:
  • You don't have installations of the AMP stack running under windows
    • You don't have to deal with upgrades/maintenance of them
  • Nobody runs the AMP stack in production on anything other than Linux these days, so you are developing closer to/or exactly on the target OS you will deploy to
  • You can easily run containers that let you simulate more complicated environments (for example, multiple PHP servers behind a load balancer) that would be very difficult to set up under AMP without hacking the hell out of the setup, which defeats the purpose.
  • You can easily run different versions of the stack under vagrant/PHP.  If I want to test the lastest version of PHP against some code, that is trivial with Docker. 

yes, I am aware of this gizmola. And I got it all ready in my mind and thoughts. Or, as much as I can have is more correct. The servers are running on Ubuntu / Debian Linux platform like when I was one of the owners (CEO). Web server SW is Apache, DB is MySQL/MariaDB. Server-side script for developing dynamic web pages is PHP. So I have control over most things.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.