Virtual Currency/Credits

Triggish

Hi, quite new to php but starting to find my way around it. Hoping someone could signpost me with this one.

On our virtual airline website (for flight simulator) the built in API that I purchased allows the pilots to earn virtual money based on how many miles they have flown. Unfortunately this is where it stops. There is nothing they can do with this money.

I’m wanting to introduce perks/rewards that they can spend this virtual money on just to give it a bit more depth. At the same time I also want there to be a central pot (so to speak) where the actual airline can accrue money. This would feed from the same data  the pilots get paid with but at a different (and possibly variable) rate.

are there any simple solutions such as lookup and deduction commands? I guess similar to how excel works.

I apologise for any ignorance and hope my newbie php status doesn’t make this question sound like I’m expecting too much.

Many thanks :)

10 hours ago, Triggish said:

I’m wanting to introduce perks/rewards that they can spend this virtual money on just to give it a bit more depth. At the same time I also want there to be a central pot (so to speak) where the actual airline can accrue money. This would feed from the same data  the pilots get paid with but at a different (and possibly variable) rate.

are there any simple solutions such as lookup and deduction commands? I guess similar to how excel works.

You're not there yet. You can't implement something until you know what it's supposed to be.

How those points are dealt with is a business decision. How the airlines recoup money is a business decision. How pilots get paid and at what rate is a business decision.

You need answers to these questions - a specification, if you will - before you can move forward.

15 hours ago, requinix said:

You're not there yet. You can't implement something until you know what it's supposed to be.

How those points are dealt with is a business decision. How the airlines recoup money is a business decision. How pilots get paid and at what rate is a business decision.

You need answers to these questions - a specification, if you will - before you can move forward.

Hi thanks for the response. How the pilots get paid is already something that’s implemented and the rate is changeable, which is $ per mile, the total is taken by looking at a table with their total flight miles.

The airline will be paid in the same way at a different rate.

what I don’t know how to do is change the total pay that the pilot has, since it’s looking at total miles flown. I cannot remove miles flown so need a way of deducting or adding to their total. Maybe by using a different table? I’m not sure

Well you're the only one on this site even remotely familiar with the stuff you're working on, so it's going to be hard to find someone who can tell you what you need to do.

The problem is specifically this stuff about paying the pilot some $/mi rate, yes? Describe the whole payment thing in as much detail as you can so that hopefully we can catch up near to the knowledge you already have.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.