SSL & The LetsEncrypt Expiration of October 1st

The LetsEncrypt root certificate expired on October 1st. I'm running one old server that does not contain this certificate. So I had to manually add it to the operating system so curl and web browsers could again communicate with domains that use LetsEncrypt SSL. 

It was pretty easy and hacks like that are to be expected when running a server thats a bit old.

But PHP still isn't working. Using stream_context_create( ), I'm still unable to connect to LetsEncrypt certificates. So it would seem that PHP is not using the system's certificate roots. Does it have it's own collection of certs somewhere? If so, is there a way I can verify that, and then add the new LetsEncrypt one to it? 

PHP Warning:  stream_socket_client(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:

error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed in /scripts/ssl.test.php on line 9

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.