File not uploaded using AddAttachment with PHPMailer

Jen2002
Go to solution Solved by Jen2002,

I want to send an attachement file by the user from an html form and send it by email with PHPMailer.

I can send every input, except the attachement, can you please help... Here's my HTML form code

<div class="form-group">
      <input type="file" id="Attachment" class="form-control-textarea" placeholder=" Upload file:" name="Attachment" style="text-decoration: underline"></input>
</div>
<div class="form-group">
      <button onClick="sendContact();" type="button" class="form-control-submit-button" name="submit">Submit</button>
</div>
</form>

Now the Jquery that send form inputs to PHPMailer:

<script src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-2.1.1.min.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function sendContact()
    {
        var valid;
        valid = validateContact();

if(valid)
        {
            jQuery.ajax(
            {
            url: "mail_handler.php",
            /*data: $("#ContactFrm").serialize(), */
            data: new FormData(this), // grab all form contents including files
            type: "POST",
            success:function(data)
            {
            $("#feedback").html(data);

I use FormData() to grab the file information.

Finally the PHP code:

$file_to_attach = $_FILES['Attachment']['tmp_name'];
$filename = $_FILES['Attachment']['name'];

$mail = new PHPMailer();

$mail->IsSMTP();
$mail->addAttachment($file_to_attach, $filename);

Like I said email is sent but no attachment...

Thanks

Do you know that the file that you attempted to upload actually got to your server/php?  Have you tried to do a move_uploaded_file to create a permanent copy that you can look for afterwards and know that your upload was a success?

10 mins later.

I notice that you did NOT use move_uploaded_file to save the upload under the name that you later use to make an attachment.  That is your problem.  If you had use the tmpname then you would have had a file.  I suggest that you use the move function to save the uploaded file into a special folder for such attachments and then attach that newly saved file to your email.

Edited by ginerjm

Before with the serialize() function it was the case, then I switch to data: new FormData(this), to grab all form contents including the uploaded files...

I will read about move_uploaded_file, and try it tomorrow at lunch...will post back result

Thanks

Yes it works, by default, data passed in to the data option as an object (technically, anything other than a string) will be processed and transformed into a query string, fitting to the default content-type "application/x-www-form-urlencoded". If you want to send a DOMDocument, which is the case here, set this option to false.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.