Many ppl say dreamweaver is a good editor. My opinion is that dreamweaver is too heavy as a program an has too many options that u dont even need... and its very expesive to buy. My option is to use [b]Maguma Studio[/b] Very good editor (not free but am using it for nearly 6 months for free and it doesnt lock)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
So far, my favorite editor has been Dreamweaver

Although it's the only one I've really used.....a lot
and I can't get enough of the RegEx find and replace feature.  I don't kow what I'd do without it

Anyone of these editors have this feature...I'd like to try something else.  Dreamweaver's annoying to install, even though it's just Next next next but it seems like it installs way too much and takes too long for me to motivate myself to install it again after reformatting which I've done.

Can I get this feature from eclipse

• 3 weeks later...
I read through all the posts and didn't see e so I'll throw it out there.

[url=http://www.e-texteditor.com/]http://www.e-texteditor.com/[/url]

It's very similar to Textmate, so if you use Windows you have an alternative. It will edit pretty much anything. I use it for Rails development mostly.

Jeremy

My favorite by far, especially for the built in FTP support.

[quote author=KingPhilip link=topic=119433.msg489720#msg489720 date=1166721747]
http://www.chami.com/html-kit/ (HTML-Kit)
http://www.chami.com/html-kit/plugins/ (Plugins for HTML-Kit -- very useful :D)
[/quote]

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I use Dreamweaver for basic HTML, tables, layouts, forms and CSS. I think its great for these because of the Design/Split view mode.

For PHP and others I use Zend.

I only descovered Zend Studio a few months ago and i'm pleased to say that it's made the PHP coding alot easier.

I've also been playing around with Zend Guard and Zend Optimizer... great products.

I've recently, based on your posts, tryed Eclipse. It's also a great product. I'm amazed its free :D

I'm can't point out why but I still prefer tu use Zend for PHP coding.

Didn't see a mention of NetBeans- the 6.5 beta just came out with support for PHP.  It's got the typical features like code-completion, FTP, debugging support etc... and also has a pretty decent SQL editor and database explorer.  The download is also relatively small (20mb for OSX).  There're some bugs here and there, but hey it's a beta.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My favorite editor is without a doubt Eclipse PDT.

@zanus: There's a plugin called Regex Util. Haven't tried it myself, but i'll install it now and I'll come back with a "report" when I've tried it out

It is a eclipse plugin to help create regular expressions (regex). The goal is to make it as easy and as fast as possible to create regex. Main features: full highlighting of regular expression syntax including bracket matching and error detecting; tooltips will be shown when the mouse is over a part of the regex; generation of string literals based on the regexp' date=' e.g. "(x)" becomes "(x)"; Search for regular expression and highlight matches.; LiveEval evaluates your regular expression while you are typing.[/quote']

From what I've experienced so far it works pretty well... when i hold the mouse over the pattern it displays information about that part and so on.. Thanks for making me look up this plugin. I have little to no knowledge about regex, so this will be really usefull for me!

457000.jpeg

also what i like is the direct access to the function list inside Eclipse.. you can highlight a function in your document and press Shift+F2 and it'll open the online manual page for that function.. as well as a full listview of all functions

like several people here including me has said already... Eclipse PDT is a great editor

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

VIM + PHP syntax hilighting ftw.

You can integrate that with PHP Unix man pages as well to get the full documentation.

pear channel-discover doc.php.net
pear install doc.php.net/pman

Now you should be able to access PHP documentation like pman strpos. Then it's just a matter of setting keywordprg to pman for PHP files in vim.