Conditional onclick event only functioning in one direction

TechnoDiver

Could someone give me a quick clue as to why the following, very simple, JS isn't working properly, please?

<script>
  function toggleResponseArea() {
      if (document.getElementById("commentResponse").style.display = 'none') {
          document.getElementById("commentResponse").style.display = 'block';
      } else if (document.getElementById("commentResponse").style.display = 'block') {
          document.getElementById("commentResponse").style.display = 'none';
      }
      return false;
  }
</script>

The text area is initially set to display: none; in the stylesheet. I've used an onclick attribute for the 'reply' element in the HTML.

And to be clear, when the page is loaded (display: none;)  and the reply 'button' is clicked it does change the textarea to display: block; that's not the problem. The issue is when it's clicked again it doesn't change it back from display: block; to display: none;

Thanks for the help.

59 minutes ago, requinix said:

=

Ha! That was indeed a very quick clue. Thank you.

but strangely it only works with == in the if statement, not the if else. which seems to me like it should need the == in both of them

This works ->

if (document.getElementById("commentResponse").style.display == 'none') {
} else if (document.getElementById("commentResponse").style.display = 'block') {
}
return false;

This doesn't ->

if (document.getElementById("commentResponse").style.display == 'none') {
} else if (document.getElementById("commentResponse").style.display == 'block') {
}
return false;

The second one with the 2 == doesn't even display the textarea. Why is that? Seems like the double = should be required in both the if and ifelse

You might have more success with

if (document.getElementById("commentResponse").style.display == 'block') {
              }
              else {
              }
          }

Or, easier still

$("#reply").click( function() {
                $("#commentResponse").toggle()
            })

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, TechnoDiver said:

The second one with the 2 == doesn't even display the textarea. Why is that? Seems like the double = should be required in both the if and ifelse

You're really making it sound like you don't actually understand the difference between = and ==.

style.display will return the actual value set with CSS. It will not return the effective value if the value isn't set.

8 minutes ago, requinix said:

You're really making it sound like you don't actually understand the difference between = and ==

Of course I understand the difference between them. In the code block where I used == in both the if and elseif statements we're making a comparison. In the assignment blocks we're not making a comparison but assigning a new value to the display attribute. There's 2 comparison statements and 2 assignment statements, I simply asked why == was only needed in one of those comparison statements.

What I don't understand is your use of actual value and effective value, nor why you think this is such a stupid question.

52 minutes ago, TechnoDiver said:

Of course I understand the difference between them. In the code block where I used == in both the if and elseif statements we're making a comparison. In the assignment blocks we're not making a comparison but assigning a new value to the display attribute. There's 2 comparison statements and 2 assignment statements, I simply asked why == was only needed in one of those comparison statements.

It's needed in both. Your code worked for the exact same reason that it did not work before.

What I don't understand is your use of actual value and effective value,

If you have a <div> then the style.display is nothing because there is no actual value set, even though the effective value is "block".

nor why you think this is such a stupid question.

Why I think what is a stupid question?

Here is the crux of your issue (aside from the = vs == issues).  

The style value from document.getElementById is unavailable until you actually use it.  So in your case, your code didn't run with the if-else, because no property was ever matched.  You can see the state of the styles are not initialized by adding a console.log(document.getElementById("commentResponse"))

Here is a way to workaround that if you want to use it.  This assumes that the style of the element is display: none as you described.  Another alternative would be to set the value initially to 'none' with javascript.

let responseAreaState = document.getElementById("commentResponse").style.display;
  console.log(responseAreaState)
  if (responseAreaState == "none" || responseAreaState == "") {
  		console.log("none")
      document.getElementById("commentResponse").style.display = 'block'
  } else if (responseAreaState == "block") {
  		console.log("block")
      document.getElementById("commentResponse").style.display = 'none'
  }
  return false
}

There is an alternative javascript function: window.getComputedStyle, that you could use to get an accurate value whereas, currently you get an empty value ("") 

I decided to go ahead and do a test, and this is the alternative version with getComputedStyle.

let el = document.getElementById("commentResponse")
  let responseAreaState = window.getComputedStyle(el).display;
  console.log(responseAreaState)
  if (responseAreaState == "none") {
      console.log("none")
      document.getElementById("commentResponse").style.display = 'block'
  } else if (responseAreaState == "block") {
      console.log("block")
      document.getElementById("commentResponse").style.display = 'none'
  }
  return false
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.