Removal

Go to solution Solved by requinix,

3 hours ago, requinix said:

We don't delete content but we can anonymize it. I'll start the process in about 30 minutes in case you want to reply to that.

Ok. And there's no way to fully delete my account?...

52 minutes ago, Guest said:

Ok. And there's no way to fully delete my account?...

Not you personally, no.

To be clear, I'm only talking about not deleting content - as in posts. We can delete the account itself.

Edited by requinix

Not you personally, no.

To be clear, I'm only talking about not deleting content - as in posts. We can delete the account itself.

Ok. Yes, I would like my account fully deleted please,  as long as the threads/posts also get deleted too.

Edited by Guest

47 minutes ago, Guest said:

Ok. Yes, I would like my account fully deleted please,  as long as the threads/posts also get deleted too.

No, I'm saying the account will get deleted but the threads and posts will not. They will get anonymized so they aren't associated with (what used to be) your account, but they will still exist.

Edited by requinix

2 hours ago, requinix said:

No, I'm saying the account will get deleted but the threads and posts will not. They will get anonymized so they aren't associated with (what used to be) your account, but they will still exist.

Alright, let's just do that then.

Alright, then I'll do it in about 10 minutes.

Quick question: In these posts here that you've quoted me in, will my username still be shown? Or will it turn into something like, "1 minute ago, [deleted] said:"?

38 minutes ago, Guest said:

Quick question: In these posts here that you've quoted me in, will my username still be shown? Or will it turn into something like, "1 minute ago, [deleted] said:"?

It will say "Guest".

Edited by requinix

So apparently there are technical reasons why it can't delve into quotes like that: because they're embedded into posts according to the state of the source post at the time it was quoted.

I've edited my posts to remove the username, but the truth is that once the content (with usernames attached) gets onto the internet, it's already been scraped and cached and archived. We can remove accounts and erase IP addresses and other identifying information from our database, but even if we could remove every instance of the username from the site (which can't include people manually writing out the name in their replies anyway) it's a trivial process to head over to Google or archive.org and see what they stored before that happened.

At the very least, with the username removed from this thread, there's no way for anyone - myself included* - to find out what posts were associated with the author of this thread.

* at least not once I've forgotten the username, which I mostly have already

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.