Little function like If $variable == 0 then echo "--"

paulmagm

1 - do not write code like you just presented to us.  Use separate lines for each statement.  You won't regret it.

2 - you should not have to enter and exit php mode for a couple lines of php code.  Unless you are poorly structuring your script.  So - break that habit.

3 - You are asking us to give you an explanation yet we don't know WTH your code is doing to the $max_supply variable.  Are you kidding?

10 minutes ago, ginerjm said:

1 - do not write code like you just presented to us.  Use separate lines for each statement.  You won't regret it.

2 - you should not have to enter and exit php mode for a couple lines of php code.  Unless you are poorly structuring your script.  So - break that habit.

3 - You are asking us to give you an explanation yet we don't know WTH your code is doing to the $max_supply variable.  Are you kidding?

max_supply is a number. what else? maybe you should go for a forum only for solutions. i will ask somewhere else for help.

Edited by paulmagm

2 hours ago, ginerjm said:

Actually - if you had saved the formatted number before doing the entire echo statements you probably would not be seeing the -- since the formatted resulted would be a string and therefore <>  to a numeric zero.  But you didn't.

i have both when it's 0. 0--. And i try to hide the 0 when the result is zero. I want to replace it with --.

Here is  little script that demos how this could be written and how you wrote it.

// set the starting value
$max_supply = 0;
echo "Starting with max_supply of $max_supply<br>";
// show the formatted value
$fmt_val = number_format($max_supply, 0, '.', '.');
echo "The formatted value is: $fmt_val<br>";
//  now test the final value
echo "The test of the formatted value gives us: ";
if($fmt_val == 0)
	echo "--";
else
	echo $fmt_val;
echo "<br><br>";
//  now run the OP's original lines of code
echo "OP code results. (written on separate lines as it s/b.)<br>";
echo "Output of the formatted max_supply value: ";
echo number_format($max_supply, 0, '.', '.');
echo "<br>";
echo "Output of the test of max_supply for a value of zero: ";
if($max_supply == 0)
	echo "--";
exit();

And here is the output:

Starting with max_supply of 0
The formatted value is: 0
The test of the formatted value gives us: --

OP code results. (written on separate lines as it s/b.)
Output of the formatted max_supply value: 0
Output of the test of max_supply for a value of zero: --

I"ll let you decide what needs changing if you only want to see ONE value. 

The problem with your lines of code was that you didn't realize that number_format doesn't alter the starting value - you were seeing the output done by number_format but in the next line you were testing the original value.

Edited by ginerjm

9 hours ago, gizmola said:

if then else blocks can be reduced using the ternary.  There are a few other syntax features described in that article that can reduce your code in certain cases.

<?php echo ($max_supply == 0) ? number_format($max_supply, 0, '.', '.') : '--'; ?>

I think you meant for the condition to be ($max_supplu != 0). Either that, or the results should be swapped.

This thread is more than a year old.