Trying to use php rand() function (newbie)

DavidAbineri
Go to solution Solved by Barand,

I am just trying to get a single random number to show on the page using this code which shows nothing for me. Any assistance will be appreciated.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html>
<body>

<?php
echo rand(1,100);
?>

</body>
</html>

18 minutes ago, DavidAbineri said:

but what is the rul for name the file html or .php?

If the php code didn't work when it was a .html file but did work when changed to a .php file, then that should be a clue.

The default configuration on most servers is that php code must be in a .php file to be processed.

A .php file may contain html (in fact it doesn't need to contain any php!).

1 hour ago, DavidAbineri said:

Please elaborate on what you mean by the xy problem?

Did you try following the link under "The XY Problem"??

It's asking a very [very] specific question about a solution you're trying to get working when the "correct" answer involves taking a different path altogether, for example:

"X" Question: "How can I stop llamas from chewing the cushions on my sofa." (requesting a solution to a very specific, small-scale issue.)
"Y" Question: "How do I stop llamas getting into my house." (asking a far broader question, the solving of which would completely eliminate the need for the original solution). 

Regards, 
   Phill  W.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.