Case of deprecated warning with PHP 8.1 and APCUIterator

NotionCommotion

I upgraded a docker-compose package to use PHP 8.1, and the application still works but I get the following warnings.

$ docker-compose exec php     php -v
PHP Deprecated:  Return type of APCUIterator::current() should either be compatible with Iterator::current(): mixed, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in Unknown on line 0

Deprecated: Return type of APCUIterator::current() should either be compatible with Iterator::current(): mixed, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in Unknown on line 0
PHP Deprecated:  Return type of APCUIterator::next() should either be compatible with Iterator::next(): void, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in Unknown on line 0

Deprecated: Return type of APCUIterator::next() should either be compatible with Iterator::next(): void, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in Unknown on line 0
PHP Deprecated:  Return type of APCUIterator::key() should either be compatible with Iterator::key(): mixed, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in Unknown on line 0

Deprecated: Return type of APCUIterator::key() should either be compatible with Iterator::key(): mixed, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in Unknown on line 0
PHP Deprecated:  Return type of APCUIterator::valid() should either be compatible with Iterator::valid(): bool, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in Unknown on line 0

Deprecated: Return type of APCUIterator::valid() should either be compatible with Iterator::valid(): bool, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in Unknown on line 0
PHP Deprecated:  Return type of APCUIterator::rewind() should either be compatible with Iterator::rewind(): void, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in Unknown on line 0

Deprecated: Return type of APCUIterator::rewind() should either be compatible with Iterator::rewind(): void, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in Unknown on line 0
PHP 8.1.1 (cli) (built: Dec 18 2021 01:38:53) (NTS)
Copyright (c) The PHP Group
Zend Engine v4.1.1, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v8.1.1, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies

Looking for the cause, I searched for "APCUIterator" and found very few occurrences.   No return declaration on APCUIterator in the two PHP files and I don't think they are the cause.   The binary files I think might be the issue as I do see "class APCUIterator implements Iterator{...}" but hard to tell as they are binary files and I don't really know what they do.  Maybe that PHP says "Unknown on line 0"?  Any suggestions?

If the warning is caused by script maintained by others and I just want to wait for them to update it, is it possible to silence just this specific warning and ideally just for the specific files?

$ grep -inr . -eAPCUIterator
./api/vendor/symfony/cache/Adapter/ApcuAdapter.php:97:        return isset($namespace[0]) && class_exists(\APCuIterator::class, false) && ('cli' !== \PHP_SAPI || filter_var(ini_get('apc.enable_cli'), \FILTER_VALIDATE_BOOLEAN))
./api/vendor/symfony/cache/Adapter/ApcuAdapter.php:98:            ? apcu_delete(new \APCuIterator(sprintf('/^%s/', preg_quote($namespace, '/')), \APC_ITER_KEY))
Binary file ./api/vendor/phpstan/phpstan/phpstan.phar matches
Binary file ./api/vendor/rector/rector/vendor/phpstan/phpstan/phpstan.phar matches

9 hours ago, requinix said:

APCUIterator is part of the apcu PECL extension. According to the changelog, you need to have version 5.1.21+ for PHP 8.1 support.

Thanks requinix.  I was previously using 5.1.19 and after upgrading to 5..1.21, no errors.

Just curious but do you know why PHP reported "Unknown on line 0"?

PHP Deprecated:  Return type of APCUIterator::current() should either be compatible with Iterator::current(): mixed, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in Unknown on line 0

6 minutes ago, NotionCommotion said:

Just curious but do you know why PHP reported "Unknown on line 0"?

That would be a PHP source code file and line number, but the error happened on APCUIterator::current which is internal code so there is no file or line number. But errors do need to report some location, thus that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.