using php read from weather api and insert into mysql database

AJM2
Go to solution Solved by AJM2,

I currently have a weather station and website that is shareware software. I get the weather data from Wunderground and inserts into the mysql database to power the site. I would like to use the weather station api and insert directly into the database, essentially by-passing Wunderground.

I am able to read the api and see the array but unable to loop over the array and get the data I would like. The data I really want is in the lastData key/array

This is the return from the api:

array(1) { [0]=> array(3) { ["macAddress"]=> string(17) "FA:F5:C2:98:6F:29" ["lastData"]=> array(27) { ["dateutc"]=> int(1642622880000) ["tempinf"]=> float(77.9) ["humidityin"]=> int(38) ["baromrelin"]=> float(29.956) ["baromabsin"]=> float(29.132) ["tempf"]=> float(77.2) ["battout"]=> int(1) ["humidity"]=> int(47) ["winddir"]=> int(247) ["windspeedmph"]=> float(5.6) ["windgustmph"]=> float(8.1) ["maxdailygust"]=> float(15.9) ["hourlyrainin"]=> int(0) ["eventrainin"]=> int(0) ["dailyrainin"]=> int(0) ["weeklyrainin"]=> int(0) ["monthlyrainin"]=> float(0.52) ["totalrainin"]=> float(48.862) ["solarradiation"]=> float(196.47) ["uv"]=> int(1) ["feelsLike"]=> float(76.83) ["dewPoint"]=> float(55.39) ["feelsLikein"]=> float(77.2) ["dewPointin"]=> float(50.2) ["lastRain"]=> string(24) "2022-01-12T02:50:00.000Z" ["tz"]=> string(15) "America/Chicago" ["date"]=> string(24) "2022-01-19T20:08:00.000Z" } ["info"]=> array(2) { ["name"]=> string(18) "My Weather Station" ["coords"]=> array(5) { ["coords"]=> array(2) { ["lon"]=> float(-197.65635809999999) ["lat"]=> float(38.6587316) } ["address"]=> string(44) "100 Main Street, Anytown, FL 08226, USA" ["location"]=> string(10) "Anytown" ["elevation"]=> float(214.7066497802734) ["geo"]=> array(2) { ["type"]=> string(5) "Point" ["coordinates"]=> array(2) { [0]=> float(-197.65635809999999) [1]=> float(38.6587316) } } } } } }

This is the code I have:

<?php // Read JSON file 
$readjson = file_get_contents("https://api.") ; 
//Decode JSON 
$data = json_decode($readjson, true); 
//echo '<pre>' ; 
var_dump($data); ?> 
<h1>Weather Forecast for</h1>
<table> 
  <tr><th>Date</th><th>Max Temp</th><th>Min Temp</th><th>Precip</th><th>Wspd</th><th>Wgust</th><th>Cloud cover</th></tr> 
<?php foreach ($data as $key => $key_value) { 
  echo "key is: " .$key. ", "."value is: " .$key_value; echo "<br>"; ?> <tr><td><?php echo $key_value; ?></td></tr>

What I get for output:

2022-01-20_11-11.png

$data is an array with one element that is an array.  That array has a lot of elements including the one you say you want.  So try:

<?php 

foreach ($data[0]['lastData'] as $key => $key_value) { 
   echo "key: $key, value: $key_value <br>";
}

Once you have figured out which keys you actually want, you should be able to access them more directly.  So for example:

echo "<p>Temperature (F): {$data[0]['lastData']['tempinf']}</p>";
echo "<p>Wind (mph): {$data[0]['lastData']['windspeedmph']}</p>";

I don't see a min/max temp value in the data you provided. 

Aside from 'lastData', there are several other keys and nested arrays in some cases.  For figuring this out in the future, aside from var_dump, print_r is often a useful development/debugging function that can be used as an alternative.

• Like 1

• Solution
5 hours ago, gizmola said:

$data is an array with one element that is an array.  That array has a lot of elements including the one you say you want.  So try:

<?php 

foreach ($data[0]['lastData'] as $key => $key_value) { 
   echo "key: $key, value: $key_value <br>";
}

Once you have figured out which keys you actually want, you should be able to access them more directly.  So for example:

echo "<p>Temperature (F): {$data[0]['lastData']['tempinf']}</p>";
echo "<p>Wind (mph): {$data[0]['lastData']['windspeedmph']}</p>";

I don't see a min/max temp value in the data you provided. 

Aside from 'lastData', there are several other keys and nested arrays in some cases.  For figuring this out in the future, aside from var_dump, print_r is often a useful development/debugging function that can be used as an alternative.

I did try the print_r function I thought they were the same. I tried your suggestion and it worked!

Thank you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.