Sessions Not Working For Some People

eddcaton

Hey All, 

I am after some advice on a recent project I am working on. 

I have a User system that uses Session for logging in. I have it working fine and tested it on IE, Edge, Chrome & Safari. However I have some users (like 10%) that are having issues logging into the system. With the others having no issues at all.

Is there anything i should take a look at?

Edd

Issues loggin in?  That means so many things.  First thing would be the code that is gathering the credentials and authorizing them before posting whatever tokens you are using to the SESSION vars.

Another question would be - Are these 10% all using the same browser or simply a few users who have difficulty following instructions?

6 minutes ago, eddcaton said:

having issues logging in

does that mean they are receiving an invalid username/password error when they authenticate themselves or does it mean that they are not being seen as being logged in when navigating around on the site because the login session variable is not working?

Sorry to be so vague in my previous message.

So I spoke with one user today who is using Chrome (which I use) and they said the cannot login. Just nothing happens when the form is submitted. 

I personally think its people that are struggling this 'new technology'.

I have added an auto login after the user has registered, to ensure that they are getting into the 'login area'. Which then will update the 'last_logged_in' field in MYSL.

When looking at MYSL it does not show that the 'last_logged_in' has been updated. So it tends to suggest that the users are having some issue somewhere, but I am unsure where!

Hope that makes sense. 

Walk him thru it and see/hear what he is doing.  If he is that much of a noob he probably needs a bit of coaching.  And FWIW - this is no longer 'new technology'.  Perhaps your login script is not clear or not very helpful or not handling user-errors properly.  Have you tested your code against user errors of all kinds?

Have you discussed this with another user to see what problem they are having?

also, your login form processing code should log information at each failure point so that you know what is occurring. if the username check is failing, log that occurrence. if the password hash is failing, log that occurrence.

hopefully, you already have error handling for the database statements that is logging db errors and are you using prepared queries so that any sql special characters in the submitted values won't break the sql query syntax?

posting your code would get the quickest, most comprehensive solution.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.