When user tries to download .iso, tar.gz, or .deb from my website php is opening the file instead of downloading it

foxclone
Go to solution Solved by gizmola,

2 hours ago, foxclone said:

@gizmola - re: php directory - That is part of the structure provided by the web host.

I've searched all over the web trying to find a tutorial for building a config.php file without success. Lots of info on using php.ini but nothing specifically about config.php. Can you point me to something that will help me learn how to use it?

It's something you implement yourself.  It's a pattern, not a built in feature of php.  If you use the code I provided, making any necessary substitutions to fit your directory structure, you are on your way.

As for the structure provided by the webhost, can you have php scripts outside of the php directory?  If so, then it doesn't matter if they provided that directory or not.  If they force you to have all your php files inside that directory, then that is a pretty crappy hosting solution, but then again we see these all the time. 

The best practice these days for php development is to develop your project locally, using virtualization with vagrant/virtualbox or docker.  Along the way you use git to version control your sourcecode, pushing it to an external repository on github or bitbucket or gitlab.  You then deploy to the production server. 

I don't think that anyone should settle for a host that prohibits you from using whatever project structure your want, even for "free" hosting, but again, I don't know anything about your hosting situation.

@gizmola - I moved all that was in the php directory into a newly created directory called includes. My config.php now looks like this:

<?php

$app_root = DIRNAME(__DIR__);

$php_path = $app_root.'../includes/';

include_once $php_path.'PDO_Connection_Select.php';

My index.php starts like this:

<?php

require('../includes/config.php');

require_once($php_path . 'PDO_Connection_Select.php');

require_once($php_path . 'GetUserIpAddr.php');

$ip = GetUserIpAddr();

if (!$pdo = PDOConnect("foxclone_data")) {

exit;

}

$stmt = $pdo->prepare("INSERT INTO access (address) values (?)");

$stmt->execute([$ip]) ;

?>

<?PHP require_once($php_path . 'header.php'); ?>

Problem is, I'm now getting the following error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

The error log states:

Invalid command 'RewriteEngine', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration, referer: http://foxtest/

Any idea what's going on?

Foxtest:

Please start a new thread.  The error you posted has nothing to do with prior changes you made.  Most likely you have a .htaccess file, with some rewrite rules in it, and something is wrong with directives you have in your .htaccess file, or your server isn't even setup to support mod_rewrite, although more than likely it is, and there is some other issue with the format of your directives.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.