Cant find the old thread about wrapper/container (CSS2-3).

LeonLatex
Go to solution Solved by gizmola,

A long time ago I found a thread here on PHP Freaks that I hope someone remembers or has knowledge of. I've searched and searched for it, but now I can not find it again. It is a thread on how to set up to get the best possible wrapper / container. Hope you understand what I mean by that. I'm not sure, but I think I found it under CSS. Do you remember such a thread that is detailed and has many other things than the usual properties such as height and width, padding etc. to make it both future-oriented and past-oriented and it did so it was scalable with regard to devices that the page is shown on. It also contained a good explanation of why it is done that way. Any .......?

• Solution

I don't have any specific recollection of such a thing, but a lot of things have changed in the css world, most notably the standardization of flexbox and grid that make older techniques and tricks of css layout obsolete.  You just don't need those things anymore when flexbox or grid can take care of your layout needs with simple, consistent and easy to understand syntax.  

There was a time when you needed to know the ins and outs of floats and clear fix, and other arcane tricks of css, but that's basically obsolete knowledge.  People also use to use tables inside tables inside tables to get their "pixel perfect" layouts, but that also has given way to a focus on creating layouts that adapt from desktop to mobile.  

This guy (Kevin Powell) has become well known in the css/web design world, and he really knows his stuff.  This video covers flexbox.  If you work through the examples with him, you will learn what you need.  He also has a corresponding Grid video.

If you want something more interactive, lots of people love Scrimba, and in particular Per Borgen, who is one of the Scrimba founders.  He happens to have a free scrimba course covering grid and flexbox, so that is another way you can learn flexbox, if you want something more interactive.  The free Scrimba Grid/Flexbox course is here:   https://scrimba.com/learn/cssgrid

• Like 2

Great contribution gizmola. Needed something like that. Flexbox is a huge boost in the CSS world. Have a lot left to learn about Flexbox in the CSS world. Therefore, such contributions as you made there are invaluable, even though I hate video / youtube tuts. I like to red books and on screen.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.