Adding Values

helpmeplease2

[!--quoteo(post=333293:date=Jan 4 2006, 04:41 PM:name=helpmeplease2)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(helpmeplease2 @ Jan 4 2006, 04:41 PM) 333293[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

How would I add up all the values in a column? They are amounts like 10.56 and 3.91, etc.

SELECT SUM(column_name) FROM ...

Thank you! I have one more question. How would I add up only the values in a column which have an asterik (*) in the same row in a differnt column? Its hard to explain, so i'll try to show an example:

Bob - * - 10.91

Linda - - 1.31

Sue - * - 5.10

As you see bob and sue have asteriks and therefore the total would be 16.07, but it skips the ones without asteriks. Same question for how to find the sum of all the values without asteriks.

Yes, I have a column with that has an * as the value. I got that working, but now I'm trying to line up all the numbers so they are right justified. The only way I could think of doing this and still having a differnt column being left justified was to use this code. But when trying to access the page it just keeps loading forever and nothing ever comes up. What is it that I am doing wrong?

$results=mysql_query("SELECT ID FROM customers ORDER BY id ASC");

$row=mysql_fetch_assoc($results);

echo "<table class=\"sortable\" border=\"0\" cellspacing=\"1\" cellpadding=\"1\" bgcolor=\"#dbe0e5\" width=\"700\"><tr>";

foreach(array_keys($row) as $coltitle){

echo "<th class=\"plan4\">$coltitle</th>";

}

$results=mysql_query("SELECT Name FROM customers ORDER BY id ASC");

echo "<th class=\"plan3\">$coltitle</th>";

}

$results=mysql_query("SELECT R,Gross,Cash,Accrual FROM customers ORDER BY id ASC");

}

echo "</tr>";

$results=mysql_query("SELECT ID FROM customers ORDER BY id ASC");

while($row=mysql_fetch_assoc($results)){

echo "<tr>";

foreach($row as $colval){

echo "<td class=\"plan4\">$colval</td>";

}

$results=mysql_query("SELECT Name FROM customers ORDER BY id ASC");

echo "<td class=\"plan3\">$colval</td>";

}

$results=mysql_query("SELECT R,Gross,Cash,Accrual FROM customers ORDER BY id ASC");

echo "<td class=\"plan4\">$colval</td>";

}

echo "</tr>";

looks like copy/paste monster has striked again

while($row=mysql_fetch_assoc($results)){

EDIT: maybe you should think again about the query structures. Why are you fetching all the column names and values separetly?

Here's how you can display all the column names:

echo "<table class=\"sortable\" border=\"0\" cellspacing=\"1\" cellpadding=\"1\" bgcolor=\"#dbe0e5\" width=\"700\">";
$results=mysql_query("SELECT * FROM customers ORDER BY id ASC");
echo '<tr>'
}
echo '<tr>';

and the values:

echo '<tr>'
$row=mysql_fetch_array($results);
    echo "<td class=\"plan4\">".row['ID'].</td>";
    echo "<td class=\"plan3\">".row['Name]."</td>";
    echo "<td class=\"plan4\">".row['R']."</td>";
}
echo '</tr>';
echo '</table>';

Thank you, you've been so much help. I just have 2 more questions:

1. Now its only displaying the first row in the table. I had it working before showing all the rows, whats wrong?

2. When adding the SUM of all values in a column it displays a number such as 1931.7, how can I make it so this number says 1931.70?

[!--quoteo(post=333603:date=Jan 5 2006, 01:22 PM:name=helpmeplease2)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(helpmeplease2 @ Jan 5 2006, 01:22 PM) 333603[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

Thank you, you've been so much help. I just have 2 more questions:

1. Now its only displaying the first row in the table. I had it working before showing all the rows, whats wrong?

2. When adding the SUM of all values in a column it displays a number such as 1931.7, how can I make it so this number says 1931.70?

1. It was because you only fetched the first row (see my edited reply)

2. number_format()

Instead of grabbing the data from the database it is just displaying '.row['ID'].' '.row['Name'].' '.row['R'].' '.row['Gross'].... etc

Heres what I'm using, I tried a few things but can't find the problem:

echo "<table class=\"sortable\" border=\"0\" cellspacing=\"1\" cellpadding=\"1\" bgcolor=\"#dbe0e5\" width=\"700\">";

echo '<tr>';

}

echo '<tr>';

echo '<tr>';

$row=mysql_fetch_array($results);

echo "<td class=\"plan4\">'.row['ID'].'</td>";

echo "<td class=\"plan3\">'.row['Name'].'</td>";

echo "<td class=\"plan4\">'.row['R'].'</td>";

echo "<td class=\"plan4\">'.row['Gross'].'</td>";

echo "<td class=\"plan4\">'.row['Cash'].'</td>";

echo "<td class=\"plan4\">'.row['Accrual'].'</td>";

echo '</tr>';

Sorry, I missed a loop in my code

echo '<tr>';
while ($row=mysql_fetch_array($results)) {
    echo "<td class=\"plan4\">'.row['ID'].'</td>";
    echo "<td class=\"plan3\">'.row['Name'].'</td>";
    echo "<td class=\"plan4\">'.row['R'].'</td>";
    echo "<td class=\"plan4\">'.row['Gross'].'</td>";
    echo "<td class=\"plan4\">'.row['Cash'].'</td>";
    echo "<td class=\"plan4\">'.row['Accrual'].'</td>";
}
echo '</tr>';

I told you why -- you're incrementing the row pointer by accident somewhere in your code. If you see mysql_fetch() anywhere other than in the while loop, that's the problem. Second, TRUNCATE() does work... try running "TRUNCATE(1.2,2)".. you should get 1.20.

I'm sorry, I didn't see this second page. This is what I have before the while:

echo "<table class=\"sortable\" border=\"0\" cellspacing=\"1\" cellpadding=\"1\" bgcolor=\"#AAAAAA\" width=\"700\">";

echo '<tr bgcolor="#CCDDEE">';

echo "<th class=\"plan3\" bgcolor=\"#CCDDEE\">$coltitle</th>";

}

How would I fix this? Maybe if I make the column titles in a different table? I used TRUNCATE and it turned 1.4 into 1.39, but I want it to change into 1.40. I just want there to always be 2 decimal places.

This is starting to get a little ridiculous -- you're using the column names from the first record of the result set, but throwing out the actual data. That is _exactly_ the call to mysql_assoc() that we're talking about. You're also missing the close TR for the heading row. My suggestion: simply run that foreach again, and spit of the _values_ for that row, and then start the while loop. Second, WRT TRUNCATE(), it _does_ give you two decimal places, as promised. Maybe you want the ROUND() function instead.

BTW, you've asked about 10 separate questions in a single thread -- perhaps you should take the time to try and figure some of this out on your own time first to see how much you can get resolved in advance. All of the advice & suggestions you need to complete your task have been laid out already in this thread. Good luck.

I'm sorry if I've asked too many questions, I really new to PHP. I placed:

in front of the while and now the first result is showing up!

I'm not sure if you understood what I was trying to say with the decimal points, but the meaning of truncate is the opposite of what I'm trying to do. Truncate made the correct amount of decimals but they weren't correct.

I had it work for some numbers such as 31.9, but its also changing into 5.42 into 5.41. Whats it doing??? It should still say 5.42.

It's not that you're asking too many questions -- ask as many as you want, that's what this forum is all about! It's just that when it's all in one thread, it's often hard to follow when the "question" changes.

TRUNCATE() does exactly that, with no rounding. If you're getting 5.42 becoming 5.41, then that means the "underlying value" is probably 5.419, and whatever is giving you 5.42 is simply rounding. When you truncate, you just chop the number of N decimal places, so you'll get 5.41. Does that make sense?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.