Need help with building a custom serialized function

jcmaad

Hi everyone,

I need help writing a custom php function that will serialize three unique values in the following format. I have three values: Count, Total, Average and all three are numeric values.

Here is an example of the output:

a:3:{s:5:"count";i:1;s:5:"total";i:5;s:7:"average";d:5;}

And this how it looks unserialized:

{
    "count": 1,
    "total": 5,
    "average": 5
}

You can call the values rating_count, rating_total, rating_average. Thank you in advance. 

Edited by jcmaad

If your knowledge of php is zero, then I suggest you find another line of work.  Or start by getting a good book and reading it and following whatever tutorials they present.  Beginning with serialzed data strings and custom functions is not exactly a starting point.  And there are no 'serialized functions'.

That is NOT a 'serialized function'.  It is a STATEMENT that calls a function that does 'serializing'. 

My problem is with people who don't know how to ask a valid question.  And people who have no idea what they are doing and want someone to do it all for them.

The forum (here and everywhere) is to HELP people perform their own writing.  If you want to hire someone to do that for you, go to another forum.

I'll leave to your own devices now.

BTW - did stackoverflow not give you what you were looking for, so you came here?

You'll find that serializing data it not used very much these days, largely abandoned in favour of JSON data

$data = [ 'count' => 1, 'total' => 5, 'average' => 5 ];

echo "Serialized: " . serialize($data);

echo "JSON: " . json_encode($data);; 

gives

Serialized: a:3:{s:5:"count";i:1;s:5:"total";i:5;s:7:"average";i:5;}
JSON: {"count":1,"total":5,"average":5}

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Barand said:

You'll find that serializing data it not used very much these days, largely abandoned in favour of JSON data

$data = [ 'count' => 1, 'total' => 5, 'average' => 5 ];

echo "Serialized: " . serialize($data);

echo "JSON: " . json_encode($data);; 

gives

Serialized: a:3:{s:5:"count";i:1;s:5:"total";i:5;s:7:"average";i:5;}
JSON: {"count":1,"total":5,"average":5}

Thank you very much. Yes, from what I read its not the best way to handle data. My wordpress plugin is using this structure, so I have to abide by it. 

I modified your code to accept values, is this correct?

$data = [ 'count' => $rating_count, 'total' => $rating_total', 'average' => $rating_average ];

Edited by jcmaad

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.