Help with Webdesign

Espen

Hi all
I did not find a suitable place for this post. Therefore, I ask the Admin to move it if I have posted it incorrectly.

We are a Band from Norway who want to create a website. Our genre is heavy metal and death metal. I'm the only one in the band who has some idea of how to do this, and how to use different tools. Sorry, some of them use some of the tools for this. I have some experience with HTML, CSS, PhotoShop and DreamWeaver. I'll probably get a page up to go, that's not the problem. The problem is to get a design that holds a certain standard. Inside my head I know almost 100% what it should look like, but do not get it out and down on paper or screen. Can I get help for this here on the PHP Freaks forum. We in the band have talked a bit about a design that goes in black and white with a dark undertone. It is possible I have made a mistake and asked too much, but would have appreciated both answers and help.

I need help, and ask nicely if I can get it here?

Sincerly Espen

I've moved the thread to a place that might get some more attention. (No harm done.)

It'll be pretty hard for us to figure out how to turn the design into a webpage if it's all in your head. Can you sketch it out graphically? Like with an image or using some free online sketch/design website place.

Also, what purpose do you want for your site? Do you just want to talk about you, like with an email to contact you? Do you want to host information like where you will be performing on what dates? Do you want one page with everything or multiple pages for different topics?
As you try to answer that, keep in mind that you are new to this so simpler will be easier - you can always add more or change what you've done over time as you continue learning, of course.

Thanks, admin. Now it's probably placed more correctly.
Yes, what we think of as the function of a page is just a simple page that tells who we are and what is happening. Too much movement and things that are moving are not cool, if you know what I mean. So initially a "pure" informative page. A biography page combined with the about us page, a discography page, where we play / what happens in the band, and a contact page for questions about the band and gigs. Then I come to a part of the task that I do not know much about. Is it possible to make a biography and discography page so that each band member can go in and edit text and photos? Or is there too much unsecured with a function like that? I would need a little introduction to how to do this. It is on a higher shelf than what I can handle without some information/training.

If you want this site because it's important to have the site then have you considered a hosted WordPress site? It'll cost some amount of money but you'll get a site like you want much faster.

If you want this site also because you want to do this work yourself then consider that allowing someone to go into the site and edit the content is a substantial feature - much more than a static site that displays information. Maybe you should start small: a few files that you (and/or someone with some familiarity with HTML) edit as needed that shows what you want on the site, then later after everything looks good and works well you can add stuff like a small content management system with user logins (aka a CMS).

Yes, that's what I thought myself too. Since finished systems do not seem to be suitable for our purpose, I do as you suggest to start at the very bottom and build from there and up. I have come to understand that such a system that I thought of in the end is much more work than I could have imagined. I didn't know what CMS was until you said that word. I had to look it up, and then I found out. So it's probably a small CMS we need eventually. Anyway, thanks for the help so far requinix. Hope i can come back and ask for more if needed.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.