Workarounds when composer has issues

Trying to install a package but received a version error:

composer require --dev alice

Using version ^2.10 for hautelook/alice-bundle
./composer.json has been updated
Running composer update hautelook/alice-bundle
Loading composer repositories with package information
Updating dependencies
Your requirements could not be resolved to an installable set of packages.

Problem 1
    - Root composer.json requires hautelook/alice-bundle ^2.10 -> satisfiable by hautelook/alice-bundle[2.10.0].
    - hautelook/alice-bundle 2.10.0 requires doctrine/persistence ^2.2 -> found doctrine/persistence[2.2.0, ..., 2.5.3] but the package is fixed to 3.0.2 (lock file version) by a partial update and that version does not match. Make sure you list it as an argument for the update command.

Use the option --with-all-dependencies (-W) to allow upgrades, downgrades and removals for packages currently locked to specific versions.
You can also try re-running composer require with an explicit version constraint, e.g. "composer require hautelook/alice-bundle:*" to figure out if any version is installable, or "composer require hautelook/alice-bundle:^2.1" if you know which you need.

Installation failed, reverting ./composer.json and ./composer.lock to their original content.

An issue has been created and a pull request fixing the issue has been made.  The fix just changed composer.json "doctrine/persistence": "^2.2", to "doctrine/persistence": "^2.2 || ^3.0"

What are my options to use this package before the github and composer package is updated?

Ideally, I would like to instruct composer to allow hautelook/alice-bundle to use 3.0 either by adding some argument when I call composer on the command line or by manually editing composer.json as applicable.  Is this possible?

If this is not possible, I suppose my next best choice is to downgrade doctrine/persistence from 3.02 to 2.2, however, doctrine/persistence is not in my composer.json file and only in my composer.lock file which I suspect I shouldn't be manually editing it.

Guess my third choice would be to clone it from github, make the changes, and then modify my composer file to use a local copy.

Maybe there are other approaches?

Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.