Downloadable CMS

LeonLatex

I am looking for a finished PHP / MySQL CMS such as. the forum PHPbb which can be posted on one's own server. I have no experience with Wordpress or Joomla and the other big ready to use CMS, but as I understand that these are designed so that they are only ready on a server where you have to register and get an account so you can point your domain for example to the Wordpress server. That is not what I am looking for. What I'm looking for is a CMS that I can download and extract/upload to my own server. Is there a CMS you can suggest for me?
If you know about a DreamWeaver template system that would be nice and interesting too.

Edited by LeonLatex

Ok🤔 I was reading a little about it last night and understood it was only possible to get WP and some other ready-to-use CMS as described/asked in the opening, but then I know for sure. After I opened this thread, I found an incredibly good site online. I didn't know it was so many free developed CMS. You can see it by yourself at: https://www.opensourcecms.com/
There is listed hundreds of CMS on that site.

11 minutes ago, LeonLatex said:

I didn't know it was so many free developed CMS.

The site is a bit disingenuous.  It's sort of like linux flavors; yes, there's thousands to choose from  but most are abandonware, poorly coded and full of security holes and bugs.

If you're into tinkering, that site would be a good starting point but if you actually want a CMS you can use out of the box, I'd stick with one of the well known offerings.

Yes, I'm aware of that. There are many CM Systems that are as leaky as a strainer. That's why I've thought of the familiar ones. It is still an unknown area to me. What made me unsure was that when I read about these, I understood that they were on a separate server where you had to register and point your domain to that server area. Now it shows from previous answers that I have misunderstood this. So, then it's clear. So, I go for Joomla or WordPress and insert my own design in the one I choose from these two. I know these most by name back in time, and a lot has changed since then.

Since this will be a site for an association for some friends who have a club for men, where there will only be a few pages with info about the club / what they do, a page that deals with the members, and one for photos to be categorized. In short, this is the most important thing. So, which of the two CMS I mentioned would best suit my purpose? I am also happy to accept other tips if others see that my needs are better suited for them. I do not need a CMS that is as big as WP and Joomla. But is dependent on a database and page with image database and processing.

Nice to be able to consult with someone who has experience with these. Database on the server is up to date with PHP, MySQL, etc.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LeonLatex said:

So, which of the two CMS I mentioned would best suit my purpose?

I would say for your needs, Wordpress would be most suitable.  Joomla seems more suited toward forum community and massive cataloging type sites.  Wordpress, on the other than, excels as serving informational pages out of the box.  Of course, you can add extensions that provide forums, galleries, etc., etc. but it was born as a weblog software, so it's right up your alley.

Another benefit of Wordpress is that there are literally thousands of themes for you to peruse and choose as a jumping off point for your project.

• Thanks 1

WordPress is much more approachable than Joomla. As schwim points out there are thousands of themes and plugins to choose from that can get a site up and running quickly.

There are downsides to WP - you'll have to do some exploration as the themes and plugins are of widely variant quality, and the codebase itself promotes some not-so-awesome practices. Also, the introduction of Gutenberg native full-site editing has added some complexity for developers as it's kind of a mish-mash of JS and php these days, but you can always install and activate the disable gutenberg plugin to work strictly in php and ignore all that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, schwim said:

I would say for your needs, Wordpress would be most suitable.  Joomla seems more suited toward forum community and massive cataloging type sites.  Wordpress, on the other than, excels as serving informational pages out of the box.  Of course, you can add extensions that provide forums, galleries, etc., etc. but it was born as a weblog software, so it's right up your alley.

Another benefit of Wordpress is that there are literally thousands of themes for you to peruse and choose as a jumping off point for your project.

55 minutes ago, maxxd said:

WordPress is much more approachable than Joomla. As schwim points out there are thousands of themes and plugins to choose from that can get a site up and running quickly.

There are downsides to WP - you'll have to do some exploration as the themes and plugins are of widely variant quality, and the codebase itself promotes some not-so-awesome practices. Also, the introduction of Gutenberg native full-site editing has added some complexity for developers as it's kind of a mish-mash of JS and php these days, but you can always install and activate the disable gutenberg plugin to work strictly in php and ignore all that.

Thanks for the information. Now WP is up and running. So far so good. It looks god, maybe great. Now i have to develop my own theme for the guys.

Work for free can also be good. I am learning new stuff now 🙂  Thanks guys 👍

• Like 1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.